How many of you actually wear Chaps?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southern Lawns, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

For the most part the trimming is up to the working hands BUT from time to time I join in. I wear shorts (a must for me in this Carolina heat) and was thinking of buying a pair of chaps to reduce the pain/ blood loss from my shins. For those that have tried them and or are using them, was it worth it? Do you use them often? What kind did you buy?
    Raymond

:jester:

2. dhicks

dhicks Member

I wear W.E. Chapps. The one that I have use a shin protector. This was one of my better investments. No more cuts, nicks, or contact dermatitis from weeds/grass making contact with my legs. E-Z on and off with velcro straps.:blob4:

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I always wear long pants for several reasons and the increased safety over flying trimming missles is one reason. (to answer the question...no chaps)

GEO

4. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I wear chaps & shorts, seems to keep legs, shoes and socks cleaner.

Kind of hot, but worth it.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wear them on the rougher jobs that have alot of sand, stones, and debris to get thrown. I should wear them even more often than that. When I wear long pants, I don't use them, although it certainly doesn't hurt. You can trim all day and look like you never trimmed a blade of grass if you wear these. This includes the shoes, too. One thing I really like is the shin protection pads. These are light weight (you don't even really know they're there) but work really well. They also slide up out of the chap a bit so they can double as a kneepad if you ever need. W.E. Chapps can fix you right up.:cool:

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

7. Randy

Randy LawnSite Member

I wear chaps every time I fire up the trimmer, brush cutter, or chain saw they are all part of my wellbeing and comfort. To me no chaps is like no safty glasses or my hard hat , or my gloves. they are all very inportent to what I do each day and how I feel at the end of the day. So yes I wear chaps. they are worth every penny.:eek:

8. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't bought any chapps yet but the bibs come out now just about every time the trimmer does.

9. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the posts folks. Gonna order the chaps tomorrow. Sounds like they will be worth the money.
    Raymond

10. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

I bought mine from W.E. Chapps , :)
    they are well worth the few dollars they cost and I bought them for my help too.

Dan G.