How many of you are able to retain employees over the winter?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by GTC187, Nov 1, 2009.

1. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

But at a certain point you can't pay them anymore otherwise you will start to loose money no?

And explain your experience please with backfire when you came to friendly to your employees.
  2. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I only have two commercial contracts and currently no employees(other then side help{rare}).
    The commercials here are year round but they are biweekly in the off season. Next time I bid, I will try my best to put most jobs on the off season. Mulching the beds and so on.... This will help stay busy.
  3. cppendergrast

cppendergrast LawnSite Member

In my business, irrigation, lighting & fountains, if you lose employees, you lose training and re-training costs money. We may not get but 30 hrs a week during some Jan/Feb weeks, but you owe it to everyone involved to keep it going..... unless there is just nothing to do, then most good employees will brace for a short duration.
  4. tlipari

tlipari LawnSite Member

I have employees questioning receiving unemployment benefits in the winter. I work in Michigan. I admit I'm behind on filing the whole 940 thing and paying into it. But, I can catch it up. My question, if I'm a seasonal employer (April-Nov), and the Federal govt acknowledges I'm seasonal. (even though the website says seasonal can't exceed 26 weeks) how can they collect?
  5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I am trying a new model here. I have hired my lead hand on as a Salary position. This way we both know what we are "in for" and his family is more secure year round. I used to pay him on piecework. He made a ton of dough each week in the summer and then made nothing from December to April. This new format seems to be working out very well for both of us.

Put some faith in your best people and give them a quality of life that you would hope for and expect out of a good employer. After all, in the end, all we have is people. People doing business with people.
  6. stressed

stressed LawnSite Member

If you find the answer to this question let me know
  7. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I recommend you catch up with your state and fed UI. They have pretty big fines and interest penalties. Call them up. When you do ask them about your seasonal question. I think you should have notified the employee when you hired him the dates of seasonal employment.
  8. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I have been contemplating doing this with one employee. Does your man have any problems when there is a need to work 50 hours per week in the summer.