How many of you are up to specs with OSHA?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Mar 23, 2002.

?

How compliant are you with OSHA Regs?

1. We are 100% compliant. I know for sure.

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. We are complying with most of the OSHA requirements

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. We wear some safety stuff sometimes but that's about it.

18 vote(s)
    52.9%
  4. Who's OSHA?

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I am just curious how many guys here are 100%, fully compliant with OSHA regulations. That is, labels on every chemical (including gas, gas mix, fertilizers, etc.), MSDS Sheets for every chemical (incl. gas, oil, etc.) in every truck, proper protection being worn at all times, etc.

2. Greenie

Greenie LawnSite Member

I don't think it is possible to be 100% compliant with OSHA regulations. Every business would need to hire a full time safety administrator, and even then the wording of the CFR's ( Crazy Friggin' Rules ) is open to the interpretation of each inspector. If you contest a citation you are setting yourself up for repeat inspections.
    In my case my worksite was inspected while I was away, as is usually the case. I called the inspector for clarification and was fined even more - just for the phone call that was a question ( and not a rude one either )
    I'm all for a safe worksite. People working for me work safe. OSHA has evolved into a bureaucratic, income producing and enterprise - stifling enforcement agency that affords no checks or balances.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I dont apply.....I have no employees. I am safe, but NO-ONE is 100% OSHA safe. They only come a knockin' when someone you employ is complanin'.

4. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Or you peeve off a rival LCO... just heard about that the other day.

5. Greenie

Greenie LawnSite Member

Not here in Maine. The inspectors make their rounds without any complaints to bring them.

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if it's true here either. We got a few notices last year in the mail saying we were recently named as a company who was at high risk for having an OSHA Audit. Of course, this was coming from companies who were trying to sell us stuff to help us comply but still, I hadn't received a letter like that in 5 years and all of a sudden I had like several of these letters in one month. So I must have been on a list somewhere.

Fortunately nothing ever came of it. But I think they do random inspections around here.

7. Andy Miller

Andy Miller LawnSite Member

I worked for over 20 years as a Safety Officer for three different Health Care Systems. It was my full time job. However, anyone can keep current on the standards by researching them. The regulations are not rocket science.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I guess what I was getting at with my initial reply was: Probably 90% of Lawnsite members are Solo operators with no payrolled employees (I may be a little off, but not far). OSHA cant touch us solo guys.

I'm all for safety, but some of their regulations are far from practical!

9. Greenie

Greenie LawnSite Member

Andy,
    If common sense and reason rules, I'll agree. My experience has been that enforcement has become revenue-based. OSHA rules read like the current tax code. How many of us know the tax code?
    My job might require 5 hours of stick welding a year, yet I must meet the same safety standards as a 50 week a year welder - screens, ventilation, etc.... Common sense tells me that at 10 hours a year I would have to weld for 200 years to have the same exposure level that a full time welder would face. I might paint 20 hours a year, yet I am required to meet the same standards as a full time painter. OSHA regulations don't look kindly on a "Jack of all trades" shop.
    The OSHA regulations that I have researched are open to interpretation so it is difficult for the layman to be in compliance. A friend of mine runs a small wood harvesting operation - he tells me that he might shut down because he can't afford a safety officer on the payroll, and he feels compliance is not possible without one.
    For my first 24 years of work experience I had routine safety inspections, had an occasional defect pointed out and corrected it. A year ago I would agree with you completely, but I have seen a completely different side since then.

10. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Basicly OSHA regs are putting a lot of small shop companies out of business, prior to my starting a lawn mowing biz I spent 10 years as an industrial coating consultant and dealing with many of these issues on the paint contractor side, Many shops with more than 10 employees have had to hire full time compliance personal to make sure trucks are fully stocked with all the proper msds sheets, that regular trainning is done on use of chemicals, fit test for mask, you name it. Some owners have found it easier to just close shop and go work for a larger company, others have left the trade period. This also is affecting other industries for example the BIODIESEL industry, many small shop producers are being forced to close thier doors due to regs, but when you look at who is getting the contracts to produce BIODIESEL for munincipal use it's the large corporations behind pushing the regs that force out the little guy..... Personally I feel that The feds and state are anti small business, and a lot of it has to do with large coporate special interest.