how many of you break cdl laws.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by deerewashed, Aug 1, 2012.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

DOT sucks. Trying to stay legal is about as complex as the Federal Tax Code. Here is what I think I know after almost 20 years of dealing with them. I try to keep everything as legal as possible beyond that I try to keep everything safe, which should be the focus of DOT. I and those who drive that are employeed are in a drug testing consortium. However if you get pulled over and they feel you are due to pay a toll, your paying a toll. I know that sounds as if I being ignorant but I believe it to be true and this is why.

When I go through a Port of Entry and pay for a trip permit or in Wyoming an off road vehicle sticker (Wyomings method of taxing heavy equipment that operates in the State). I have very little problems. Montana is the same way. When I go in and pay money for something they usually dont get me for anything more. However if you have not paid something, you will likely leave with less money than you started with. It seems as though the goal is to extract a "fee" from those who enter their State. I was told by one port of entry that "they have fun with excavators". I was no exception, that shittty day in Montana.

Its a bad a deal. Like I said I do what I can to keep in their good graces, but if its your day to pay, you will be paying. How much is what it comes down to.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, a non commercial CDL...only the govt.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Me neither.

4. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

It's not a NCCDL. It's NCDL

5. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Well skippy get crackin'.

6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

First off, my first post was worded incorrectly but we all know what I meant. I was referring to GVWR/GCWR, but I made a semantic error.

Secondly, except for my personal CDL mistake, go back and re-read every CDL post I've had and look for a mistake.

Everybody knows RV's are CDL exempt. I just had no idea that anybody could go buy a tractor trailer for personal use without a CDL. My mistake.

7. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

yup they sit right there in the parking lot, i live on belden hill, and all my work requires me to go up 106 toward new canaan, or down belden hill to 95. so wouldnt run into them, but thanks for the heads up on the DOT check point. do you tow at all? have a cdl?

8. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

this **** lit up quick, all this discussion about certain states does not help me....i need ct. can i call motor vehicle about questions like this or do i need to call some special place.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Just drive down th highway with a piece of equipment unchained, a nice fella' will come out and explain the law to you! ;)
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I never said you could buy one, although you could.

I think we should discuss air break endorsements next. :cool2: