how many of you break cdl laws.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by deerewashed, Aug 1, 2012.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Here in Georgia if you do not want to drive then you will have a hard time keeping busy. My average distance to jobs is 30+ miles one way.

According to Federal Law any commercial vehicle with a GVWR of 10k or more has to have a DOT number, fire extinguisher, health card etc. If you are using the vehicle for work than it is commercial. If your state does not enforce it than thats great but it is a Federal law. And there are seperate DOT numbers. Stats and Intrastate.

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

mine can be that far or more but luckily we have alot of county and state routes around here. In most cases its quicker to take the small roads until you get an hour or more away.

3. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

pretty much just wholesaling them. I sold over half of them to dealers, and the other half on ebay. This year isn't as good as last, only flipped about 27. If obama get elected again, I bet my numbers will increase because everybody will be dumping their equipment again.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

NPR = no cdl, but you still need a med card.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

10-4...in Georgia anyway...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

ya but whose going to buy it at that point?

7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

If they enforce that in Texas, there is going to be a lot of farriers, horse traders, etc., that will have to get their numbers. Just about every 1 ton is rated over 10k and where I live, on the edge of a big city like San Antonio, there are a lot of guys who haul cattle (for a fee) and other things.

So you can drive a one ton all day working as a salesman if it's your private vehicle but if you own a business and drive the same truck, you have to go through all the bs?

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

ya its always been that way here but its rarely enforced. However I know guys that have been ticketed in business lettered trucks that were UNDER 10k. One in an S10

9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Farming is exempt. That includes livestock and the service of them.

10. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

overseas market and people that pay cash... alot of mine last year went to south america and australia and business owners that had alot of cash on hand.