How many of you do this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jlcare, May 5, 2003.

How many of you move items out of the way in the yard to mow

1. Always

77 vote(s)
  2. Never

10 vote(s)
  1. jlcare

jlcare LawnSite Member

I'm getting tired of moving lawn furniture, kids toys,etc. Thinking about sending a letter out to all my accounts telling them that any items left in the yard on "mow" day, will be mowed around. This is my first year in business, so I'm looking for some advice on whether I should do this or not. These are all contract accounts but I did'nt have that clause in the contract when they were signed. It just takes too long on some of my lawns to get off and on the mower 100 times per lawn. Please give me a little friendly advice. Thanks guys.
  2. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

I dont many custormers with l have lawn furniture they have it up on there decks and porches. but one cilent constanly would have toys over over.I picked em up twice and told em next i run em over.Well next time sure as **** them toys was there and sure as **** i ran em over.never had that problem agian and i would notice the toys all on the deck neat and nice from then on.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You'll get to know which lawns have things in the yard soon enough. When you get to those lawns just take a quick walk around the yard and move anything that might be in the way. I've even had them leave horseshoe pegs in the lawn and they will never play horseshoes with those pegs again. I have even found that if they leave lawn funiture out that if you move it enough times they will eventually leave it where you put it.
  4. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

I don't mind moving small things around in the yrd every once i a while. I'm sure not going to run over some kids toys just because it's in my way, i think that's very unprofessional. I would ick them up and tell the client to please ensure these items arepicked up on the mowing date. Walk the yard before ou start mowing, this will keep you from having toget off the mower and move things in the yard. Yeah, it's a pain but t kinda goes with the job!:angel:
  5. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

Afew here and there i agree but a whole yard ful of toy cars and trucks and small toys that would take half hour to collect up unprofessinal or not i imformed them two times they ignored what i told em.I told em i aint takeing no half hour a week to move a yard full of toys.They choose to ignore what i told em.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I just do a very quick walk around on the properties that have a tendency to leave items out. I don't have a problem picking up a few items but then the numbers of items remain constant then the homeowner needs to step up and have the property ready to mow before I get there.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Send them a nice letter First, The Ones That Don't Comply Next Year Tell them there will Be A Service Charge.
  8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I have 2 views on this.

1) small accounts: you don't move the lawn furniture / kids toys. I charge extra to move them.

2) big accounts where you spend a lot of time anyways, no charge for moving a normal amount of lawn furniture.
  9. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

As far as toys go I try to look into where I'll be next and throw stuff into where I've already been. With lawn furniture I usually go under tables with the trimmer but chairs I will move.The only thing I find to be a real pain are trampolines especially the ones with the safty cage around the top. It is very unproffesional to hit anything intentionaly or for that matter to throw a fit about it.
  10. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I usually grin and bear it and move things out of my way. It's not usually a problem, and I don't mind unless I'm having a tough day or running behind. If it was chronic and chewed up a bunch of time, I would have a little chat with my client before thinking about charging extra. After speaking with the client, if they didn't respect me enough to move things out of my way, I would just drop 'em.
    Bill Craig!