How many of you DONT do leaf removal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WJW Lawn, Nov 19, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

GOD I hate leaves!!!!!!!!!!! How many of you just dont fool with them? As far as outside non regular client jobs.

2. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

ME! I only do them for regular clients, unless I'm really really slow and somebody gives me a call to do them... I HATE LEAVES!!!

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

There is no way around doing them for me. I hate them too. All that dust and labor. But grasscutting here is not what it used to be so I have to seek out leaf jobs

4. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Only for regular customers, unless someone wants to Shell out tha $$$$$:dancing:

5. WJW Lawn

For me...I hate the labor lol I dont mind working my butt off...but there is something about leaves that I just dont like. Secondly...since I take care of my own yard...it's always hard to give quotes to outside customers...because there is no way in a MILLION years I would pay what I quote people. lol But I stick to my price...and at least enjoy the money. I try and pretend the leaves are dollar bills..lol That makes it a little better.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I can estimate small jobs. But large jobs are by the hour-- they can take it or leave it lol. Leaves just wear me out. Blower on your back for long periods and getting the leaves out of the bin...

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If you choose not to do leaf work, who gets onto the customer's property to do the work? Why would you let a competitor have full access to your customer?

I have found some of my best mowing customers through a call, "... the man who cut my grass this season just stopped coming, and I have nobody to take care of the leaves." Thank you for giving me the opportunity to find new mowing customers next to existing ones, thus tightening up my mowing routes for next season.

If you choose not to do leaf work, then what other work are you doing to generate income in place of the lost income from the leaf work?

Somebody mentioned dust, but I gather (from many other posts too) the primary problem is that some folks don't want to work to earn an income. Income must be great enough from the rest of the season to bypass leaf work, and am happy to watch TV, or some othere form of entertainment. However, there are enough posts to complain about competition, poor work habits on the part of other LCOs, etc to lead us to think that the best choice is stand by idle, while others are willing to do the work available.

Off the soapbox now -- there is much doublespeak throughout threads about lack of income, low prices, contrasted with a willingness to bypass work.

8. WJW Lawn

Well..I service my clients...I was talking about leaf only customers who call about this time of the year. I would never pass up on leaves to a regular customer.

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

To make leaves enjoyable you need to have a leaf vacuum system and a dump. Both of which I don't have, so no leaves other than my own here. As far as my customer go, I run double blades on my mower and/or bag, so they really don't need to call anyone.

10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Having the right equipment for the job makes leaf clean-ups a lot more enjoyable, mostly because they are a very good money maker.