How many of you fool with limbing?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by WJW Lawn, Oct 8, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Any of you carry chainsaws and service people who need limbing done? Ive never bothered with this side of the business, but I wonder if it adds any profits? And I would assume Stihl is the best chainsaw you can purchase.

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I have done a few for a nice $$$ charge..and even gotten rid of a few small dead trees ...anything to big and they need an expert....but yes its pretty easy money .....BE SAFE !!

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The insurance you have to cut grass and trim shrubs usually has a limitation about climbing. If you can reach from the ground with a pole saw, no worries but no climbing. Clients usually understand and accept this response when asked. In our contract we label it as trimming for access only.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you need to be really careful... I started carrying a chainsaw because sometimes the hedge trimmers are not enough, and it also comes in handy for the occasional small tree, but again like you said, my insurance specifically does not cover me for tree work (yes, they asked me if I did any and I said no).

5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I have a husky saw. I like them, good saw for me. 22 inch bar big enough for what I need with just enough power. I'd only do small stuff away from any danger. My main reason for buying it was for large branches that fall or the ocational tree that fell or broke during a wind storm.

6. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, its a big money maker. Get a STIL pole saw. Love mine! PR

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have a top handle Echo for stuff like that. A pole pruner would be nice but, it's an occasional thing and I can rent one if I need it.

8. Outdoor Works

Outdoor Works LawnSite Member

I have several STIHL's, but I do a good bit of tree removal and pruning. For what your talking about just about any saw would work just fine. There is decent money in pruning but can be hit and miss. I would follow what the other guys are saying about the insurance and know your limitations. I have even picked up a few jobs just removing downed trees from storms etc.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer terra firma thank you :nono: