How Many Of You Guys Are About To See Winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by powerreel, Aug 29, 2001.

1. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Just curious as to when cold hits areas and leaves change and such.....
    In Seattle, leaves are starting to change from cooler eves. & morns, not much....but some color starts. What's it like where you live and how do you handle Fall? I guess a week after Labor Day allot of Northern areas start to get cold..... What about you?
    :)

2. Butchs Lawn

Butchs Lawn LawnSite Member

usally we get first frost around sept 20th.leaves start turning color soon after. oct busy month for fall clean ups.did give my first bid on snow removal today.seasons are a changing enjoy the dog days of summer!.have good labor day everyone!

3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Usually last part of sept we get a frost.Leaf clean ups start mid- october.Grass begins to slow,lot of pruning etc.Leaves change mid sept sometimes depends on weather of course.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Down here, we will mow weekly until Thanksgiving unless we have a very dry fall. Will mow bi-weekly through mid Dec. Leaf cleanup starts about mid Dec. and lasts until the end of Jan. usually. Then I loaf around until early March when we start all over again.:D

5. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Whats WIMNTER?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here, around me, leaves at the tops of trees are already starting to turn. (Incidentally, it's not the cold that does it, but the lack of sunlight:) )

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We should begin to feel the cooler Fall breezes beginning to stay around late Sept.

Depending on how the weather moves thru the valey we could see several inches of snow late in Oct or frosty mornings that get us out the gate quite late.

Regardless, we will cut thru Thanksgiving. Once we cut the second week of Dec because it was warmer temps and looked as though we were in for a green x-mas.

Im hopeing for a lot of mini storms this season that will give us 4-6" 8-10 times a month to keep the plowing constant and yet give us a chance to keep up with it and also stay well rested between plows. :)

Kris

8. Turfcouncil

Turfcouncil LawnSite Member

The mulberry trees are already starting to drop a little.
    But business as usual until Oct.
    Then the accounts slow until march
    but not to much, keeps the dust off the mower.

9. lawnperfections

lawnperfections LawnSite Member

Well it was 95 here yesterday. I will probably be wearing shorts again on Christmas Day. It slows way down in Dec, nothing in Jan., very little in Feb starts going again in Mar.

10. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

The weather here is very unpredictable.
    Last year I was mowing until Nov. This year it looks like I'll be lucky to make it into oct.