1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many of you guys cut lawns in your immediate neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by syzer, Feb 14, 2001.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys cut the grass for anyone in your neighborhood? Does it present any problems maybe with customers coming over your house? I would like to get my neighborhood about to hit it now with flyers. Not sure if there are any disadvantages to this though they seem to be about 30 - 35$ a cut lawns. I would like to get a couple in a rom make things nice and easy. Anything I should keep an eye out for?

Precision Landscaping
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Money is money.But i would prefer not to be responcible
    to my neighbors.
  3. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow some of my neighbors lawns. But not the ones that are right across the street or next door I make sure they are a few houses down. So they don’t see my lawn it is not the best in the world I don’t have time to do it. I think I might higher someone else and give them lots of problems!! LOL
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut 3 on my street ....one right across from me ....after talking him into remove this hugh oak his front yard has filled in nicely .....but we are real good friends & I'd never do the ones right next to me ...just to keep the peace
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

When you say your neighborhood, do you mean people that live in a one or two block area of your home? Because if that is the case, I wouldn't recommend it.

Our first year we cut for our neighbors. Both neighbors next door to us, a neighbor on the corner, a neighbor on the other corner, you get the picture... Well it became a hassle. We felt we didn't bid the jobs right because we felt uncomfortable charging people that we knew. You say they are in the range of $30.00-$35.00. If you do cut them, just make sure you get the price that is good for you. Don't end up doing charity work, which is what it felt like we were doing.

Well when we moved, I told Matt, No more neighbors!!!
    It just isn't profitable, at least for us it wasn't.

Now the only neighbor we cut for is a the guy right next to us. We cut his when we cut ours. He's a nice guy, in his eighties. We intially tried to cut it for free, but he insisted on paying us, a nice amount I might add.

So for us, we stay away from our immediate neighborhood.

6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

We do a lot around the neighborhood. We also do a few immediate neighbors. This can present a real problem. I had to send one to collection, another still owes $300 from last year and now I've got to sue the bag of crap that lives across the street for $350 from 2 years ago! My neighbors seem to be some of the biggest deadbeats around! I don't like to cause problems in the 'hood, but I can't also let them stiff me and live with myself having to look at their deadbeat, no bill paying butts every day! Doing immediate neighbors can present some unusual problems.
  7. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

I market my neighborhood; however, I will not do immediate (read next-door and/or neighbor behind me) neighbors even though they're senior citizens and I'm on a first name basis w/ them. I'm sure there are guys on the forum who say their neighbors are worth their weight in gold OR who say they are worthless customers who take advantage/don't pay. I guess it's a hit-and-miss subject.
    Bottom-line: I guess it's @ your discretion. Use your best judgment.
  8. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Well we moved into this house in June of last year. Our neighbors are pretty much far from friendly and one has a Harley he likes to start on the weekends at like 7:30 and leave running for like an hour always waking me up. I would like to jump his *ss. I wouldn't want to do say my immediate neighbors start about a block around my house in all directions and go from there. Its a relatively new development and it has some decent opportunities I think. I just wanted a general consensus of what you guys thought. I wouldn't dream of doing my immediate neighbors now, even if they asked!

Precision Landscaping
  9. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I did my next door neighbor last year. Never again
    Just a big hassle. I could never get any of my house chores done. If I was outside doing something to my garden, here comes my neighbor wondering if I could do his yard, or till his garden, etc.
    I like to keep my customers at least out of sight of my place. When I get home in the evening I want to be home and spend time with my family not work on the neighbors flower beds.

even if the guy is paying you a reasonable price it always comes out to be more work.
  10. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

I do several in my neighborhood and am trying to get more. I've never had any problem with them. As for aoiding the bad debt situation, I have a long standing policy that no residential customers get more than $200 dollars in credit. If their bill ever exceeds that and payment has not been made then service is stopped until they cough it up and then I cancel them. "Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me."