how many of you guys cut lawns?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jim163, Aug 30, 2006.

1. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

Majority of my business is cutting lawns. Thinking of re-gearing my business for fertilizing im allready certified and alot less overhead. Anyone been here?

2. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I have. Going more toward fert and spraying and irrigation work every year. We retain only a small few long time loyal maintenance customers. Just can't hange them out to dry. The fert and spraying is WAY more profitable if done well on quality. The less mowing you do also, the more marketable you will be to fellow landscapers also.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Same here...getting out of the mowing, but will always have a select few that we do.

4. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just a beginner but I am interested in branching off down the road. Just trying to make a name for now. Good luck to you.:D

5. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

We"re still full service. But, we don't just mow for anyone anymore. If we dont do it all we don't do anything.

6. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Same here..

7. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

A couple of guys i've talked to will only mow the lawns they apply fert and control products to. But will apply fert to a lawn that someone else mows. This is harder though. Only puts you on the lawn every 6 weeks. The mowing gets you on a good schedule and keeps your job tight and clean looking. Plus you have control over what type of fert if the weather changes. Pretty tough if everyone's looking at you when your mowing a job that scott's put 32-5-18 30%slow in late june. OUCH. Disease and stress.
    Does anyone else have experience with this?

8. deltascapes

deltascapes LawnSite Member

24month contracts contract we will mow and spray but majority of our busness is spraying and fert

9. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have avoided the mowing end of this business so far...

10. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Me too, I do a bunch of subcontract work for guys that mow and do not want to be viewed as competetion.

You guys can mow the lawns with 3-4 guys for $30 I will fert them with one guy for $80-100. I don't want to cut grass.....