How many of you guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Apr 30, 2005.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

are mow only? No fertilizing. And have any of you lost customers due to that?

2. Fresh-cut.com

Fresh-cut.com LawnSite Member
    from IN

We mow only. I sub all my fert weed kill work to a friend who is actually liscensed. But I also get a vast majority of his mowing.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

No, but I know I've gained accounts becouse of being a 1 call company

4. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

I havent lost anyone before I was certified, but now that I am it helps..

5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto what olderthandirt said. I just picked up one this week for that very reason. I run an insert in the paper here every spring. I had a woman call for a quote on our fertilization program. The woman bought the program and then asked me about mowing. So I gave her a price on that as well. I was actually $5 more than the company she is using now, yet she hired me anyway and cancelled her current service. Her reasoning was she was tired of having a different company fertilize. She said it always seemed her former fert company would fertilize the day before her mowers got there. She wanted to make sure tretments were always done after the mowing was complete. And that was worth the $5 extra to her. It pays to offer more than mowing.

6. LawnRangerofColumbus

LawnRangerofColumbus LawnSite Member

I have not lost anyone being mow only. But, would like someday to get certified.

7. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to certify even if I don't end up doing the apps. Right now I just sub it out. If the client only wants to deal with one person, it's easier that way.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Seems like a lot of my customers have given up on treatments completely...maybe a TruGreen Backlash. Many of them were using TGCL and have just given up altogether. One guy told me he figured, what does he care about a few weeds, is it that big a deal. They all want mowing and mulch, but less and less of them seem to care about a nice lawn.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I only mow. I need a license to do apps, and I'm sure I could pass the test. However, I don't want the added insurance cost, and, more importantly, I don't want the hassle of call-backs. Apparently the money is good, but, from what I hear of my customers, the call-back issue is a major one, "... I don't know what this thing growing here is ... I'll just call xyz..., "... I see a dandelion or two ... I'll just call xyz and have them come out to take care of it ...." My business is too small to devote much time to all the interruptions.

I know which companies who do a good job with apps and try to encourage my customers to use their services. Also, I have made a point to know the people in those companies and provide feedback, ask questions, etc.

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I don't educate my customers on the benefit of weed control........I just tell them that they have a cycle and they'll die out soon enough! Why give up all that extra money by killing the very thing that keeps me coming back?

Kill a weed?????? I don't think so! payup

I will fertilize for them though........no license needed to do that here.