How many of you have degrees?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mklawnman, Aug 26, 2001.

1. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey i was wondering who out there has any bachler/master degrees in landscaping/maintenance? Im 18 right now and plan on majoring in Landscape Horticulture (Landscape design, maintenance and turf)and is wondering am i doing the right thing and getting a degree? Right now i have a small lawn mowing company that me and my brother run right now, we dont do any landscapin yet, just bush trimming and mulching and some pants. Though i will be going off to school away from my customers during the fall and early spring months, so ill have to cut back on my services until i graduate from college. I know u dont need to have a degree in this field to make a decent living but im sure the schooling would make me more successfull.
    Just want to hear any thoughts or opinions on this.
    Matt (Lawnman)

2. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

hey matt, way to go i think you've got your head in the right place, you will be alot more diverse with the degree, i am working on mine when i can, a class here and a class there. also a degree is somethig no one can take away from you, you'll always be able to fall back on it if you go to work for someone else, in my opinion you can't lose, it will open more doors and avenues for you.......

maybe you should think about night school and keep your buisness going (growing) it'll just get better, like when you have your degree and a buisnees going then going to the bank to get the money for that tractor or bobcat or whatever just got easier

once again good luck, and go get it, keith

3. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, mklawnman. Along with your degrees in Landscape Horticulture, I'd suggest some classes in Business or an Associate degree in Business with concentration in Small Business Administration. Most businesses fail not because of the quality of the work, but because he fails to apply sound business principles. Generally, if you apply to a bank for a loan, they want to know what business experience you have. Technical knowledge is less important to them than business knowledge and that AA degree is your ticket.

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I'd incorporate a little bit of business ciriculum wherever you can into there.

But definetly go to school now while all your H.S. is fresh in your head. Believe me, its NO FUN going back later and you need a lot more motivation than you will now.

It can only help, no matter where the path leads you.

GO TO SCHOOL! :)

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

matt--I think you should look into architecture. the money for a lad your age is not in setting and pruning bushes. it is in design!

landscape design is a component of architecture so there you go.

there is lots to be said about his subject. good luck.

GEO

7. MK- Glad to hear that you are trying to be a professional at what you do by getting that degree. Might I ask where you plan on attending? I am personally working towards a degree in Turfgrass Management. I think that having some form of degree in this industry ( Landscape contracting / Turf / Arboriculture / etc.) it sets you apart from even some of your largest competition by stating that you took the time to find out about the plants, diseases, insects, etc. As is done in my school, I would hope that it is done at your school that they make you do an internship. Its a good way to learn, and make money. At my school I believe you can get 3 or 4 credits for the internship alone. But I must go now, so I shall bid you good luck in your current and future endeavors.

8. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on attending the University of Wisconsin-River Falls, im going to a local UW 2yr school for one year then transfering to River falls next year. See River Falls is 5hrs away from where i live so night school wouldnt work, though i could get a AS degree from a tech school but thats only a AS, not a BS which only Universities have. I've thought about going into Landscape architecture but right now i plan on focusing on landscape maintenance and design, but as i've heard before things change while your in college so who knows maybe ill become a landscape architect instead who knows. For the time im in college my dad will help me with some of my work hopefully, but i figure ill make it through anyhow. I've taken many business and Ag courses in high school, on business management, landscape design, but i plan on taking some business related courses in college, thats a definate!
    I have the the skills for this field that im in, just need to study more about plants and about landscaping itself.
    MAtt

9. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck, Matt, you seem to be on the right track.

10. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Have a Master's degree in History and Religion. Have a Bachelors in Biblical Literature. Could not feed a family on that ( or myself for that matter). But mowing grass? The money keeps coming in the mail! All this from just cutting grass. Wish I'd have done this 15 years ago.

Cordially,
    Sheppard