1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many of you have great employees?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Arc Burn, May 4, 2003.

1. Arc Burn

Arc Burn LawnSite Member

OK,we have heard the horror stories:dizzy: but seriously,how many of you have really good workers,maybe some guys or key workers that you just could not do without and what do you do to keep those guys?
  2. laserman

laserman LawnSite Member

I've got a really good leadman. Pay him good give him all the slack he needs. Couldn't have made it this far without him:cool:
  3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

In the minimum experiences I've had with employees, I have found that family employees are the only reliable ones. I've used close friends for summer work but even they are unreliable. That's why I try to stay solo. It saves me money and I cn still be productive. If I ever need help, I just ask my rother and I pay him $8 per hour for how many hours he helps me.
  4. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I find that hiring people smarter than me, paying them well and allowing them to make me look better than I really am makes good sense.
  5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We run 2 crews on maintenance, one is my crew the other is our foreman. He has been with us for under 2 years but he works like a MULE! His sister even works for us, she works great! After years we have a few good crews but still every once in a while go through general labores.
  6. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a problem with this. I have hired three so far. One was two slow, have not heard from him since I told him. One did not like the work. The other worked one day and I have not heard from him since. Oh, I hired a Mexican on the first day, worked hard and he was a great guy. Really new what he was doing. I even had to make him drink water and take a lunch break. When we were through, he asked for more work and gave me his number. Needless to say, I LOST IT! Oh Well!
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey John I new I took your seminar for a reason!!!!

LAWNPROzII LawnSite Member

My best employee happens to be my father in law. He's retired and is still a workhorse. I bought him a Walker so all he has to do is load it off the trailer and get after it. I bring him along to all of my bids and close almost all of them. I think because he's older customers relate with him better than some whipper snapper and that makes him an invaluable asset.
  9. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I have to say I really lucked out this year, I have three new employees this year and they are all working out great. Its one less headache I have to worry about! Good Luck
  10. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I have always had great employees. We all get along well, and it makes the work day a lot of fun. I think if you treat your employees good, they will enjoy the job, and work good for you.The only bad experience was a guy I hired, who shows up the first day wearing designer clothes, $200 Nike shoes, and wined about getting "dirty" doing spring cleanups. He also was telling me how he wanted me to run the company. Needless to say I told him to hit the road.:rolleyes: