How many of you have the knowlege, or just do the work???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Larson Lawn Care, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I do the basics: cut grass, mulch, trim shrubs, and clean up leaves. The past few years that I have been doing these services, I have been asked questions..."Why is my grass brown?", "What do you think I should do?"...etc. I decided that this winter I would read books and magazines, research stuff online, and ask questions on here to broaden my knowlege. I hate having to make stuff up to sound good to a customer. If they would ask me something that I really had no clue about, I would tell them that I could find out for them. I don't want that anymore. I want to have all, or most of the answers for them as soon as they ask.
    -So, do you have the knowlege right now, or do you just do the work???
    -If you have the knowlege, how did you obtain it???
    -What would you recommend for others that need to gain knowlege???

2. joe the lawn guy

joe the lawn guy LawnSite Senior Member

Ohio state university has a class in Wooster Ohio you can be state certified

3. joe the lawn guy

you may go to a local univerity I don't know

4. Larson Lawn Care

In 2003, I ordered an independent study course from the university of Georgia, to be a "certified turfgrass professional", but I never put the time in, I was always too busy. I paid $350 for it, and never persued it. I still have the huge book, so I have been reading it for a while, but I would have to pay the $350 again to be certified.(what a mistake)

5. Larson Lawn Care

Are there any books or other references that you would recommend???????

6. check with your state university or extension office, every state has lawn care associations that are a good start and put on classes throughout the year.

7. joe the lawn guy

In Ohio we have theOLA (ohio landscapers association) they offer landscape installation tech. and others at BuckeyeGardening.com it it has helped me with plantings mostly but most of the time with grass it's what you don't see (the soil) that the problem is (no top soil) if i see a problem the first thing i do is dig a hole if it's not soil i have to take a sample and have a Ph test done (it also will get you a week to figure the whole problem out )the u of Penn will do the test for 10 or 20 $ just gather samples from all around the yard and mail it to them no one knows it all but a pro will get the correct answer all the time

8. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

The Turfgrass Disease Handbook by the late great Dr. Couch
    Color Atlas of Turfgrass Weeds by McCary, Everest, Hall, Murphy, and Yelverton.
    Any Turfgrass Management book by endorsed by GCSAA.

Go to gcsaa.org and look in their library for a list of books. I don't know if you have to be a member to access this or not.

I obtained my knowledge from 6 years of being an assistant and head superintendent at various golf courses.

I think it is very important not to try and make stuff up when a customer ask you a question. If you don't know for sure tell them you will find out and get back with them. They will have much more respect for you if you do this than if they went and found out for themselves and realized you were blowing smoke. JMHO.

9. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

Larson
    i would look at some of the short courses that can be found at the various green industry seminars & trade shows.

here in NJ, Rutgers has a fantastic continuing education program for the green industry. I'm sure if you check with the colleges in your area you will be able to find something similar. many of the classes are one or two days so it's easy to work your schedule around it. Also many of these types of classes are taught by industry professionals as opposed to professors so much of the info is based on hands on experience.

here are a few threads you may find helpfull

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=168921 seminars
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=170620 pruning
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=171265 education
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=170336 tree planting

10. coolbreeze

coolbreeze LawnSite Member

i've heard good things about this course and plan on starting it in February.