1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many of you have written contracts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by c_anfossi, Apr 15, 2001.

1. c_anfossi

c_anfossi LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

How many of you have written contracts for your lawn maintenace jobs? Of those who don't have written contracts are your customers reliable in paying etc? Thanks Chris
  2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

By far most of my clients are under "Yearly Agreements" that auto-renew at the end of each year, unless 60 days advance notice is given of changes. I like having some that are pay as you go, also.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

All of my customers are verbal agreements. In 7 years I have only lost $45.00. My customer retention rate from year to year is very high. At the present time I have 43 accounts and I am on customer number 85.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

i only do contracts for commercial. I have about 140 customers, and only a problem with 3 of them, they always pay, but always late
  5. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

I have contracts with all my customers commercial and residential. The residential are very simple just telling of 30 day notice to cancel service, 24 hour notice to cancel individual mowing, and to pick up the yard prior to our arriving, and charge for double cutting if they overwater or overfertilize the lawn.
  6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

We have everyone on a contract..one reason is it is much easier for the gal in the office to send out monthly bills..same price every month..I just have to worry about the extras to bill.
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone gets a contract. :)
  8. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

Most definately on commercial or industerial jobs. Residentals just sign a basic gentlemans agreement stating what is to be done and for how much. I do include a clause stating that if legal representation is needed to obtain delequent funds they will pay for that too!
  9. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

All our customers residential and commercial have signed contracts. We do the language differently and less of it on the residential customers, on maintenance we do not service until contract is signed along with our plowing season. Our landscape construction contrtacts we get 100% of retail cost of material up front on date of signed contract and 50% of labor do on the 1st day of work and remainder 50% to be paid within 20 working days or will be penalized 20% intrest on unpaid balance if other payment plan was not arranged proir to contract signing!
  10. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes contracts, but simple ones for res. and comm, easy reading and understanding.