How many of you hire retired employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skeet, Jun 23, 2008.

1. skeet

skeet LawnSite Member

There are many baby boomers that have retired or are going to retire in the next few years that have MANY years of experience planting, growing, nurturing lawns and gardens. These guys have the gump to show-up for work on time and stay until the job is complete. They know when to snap on a young mans laziness and to praise him when he has done a fine job. Kind of like my dad and uncles..they may not want to work 6 days a week but they can be there when needed. reminds me of the following.........

There was an old bull and a young bull at the top of a hill
    The young bull says to the old bull "lets RUN down and get ourselves one"
    The old bull says to the young bull "lets WALK down a get them all"

fun Monday
  2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

have you hired any baby boomers?they all want to work at Walmart or Sears.
  3. skeet

skeet LawnSite Member

K911, your right on target for the most part but many wish to keep active even if it means riding a mower, swinging a trimmer or blowing the grass off a sidewalk..hope you get my meaning.
  4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i am 64 years old and have been in business forever.i get your drift.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

My sons hired me when I retired 8 years ago.
  6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We hired one 2 years ago. He was a landscape designer for a really well respected company and I had gotten to know him over time. He doesn't want more than $14000/yr. due to SS would get cut down. He is like gold to us. He does anything we need, and knows more than the rest of us combined. He usually works every day, sometimes only mowing for 4hrs. and then some design work, or goes and checks on landscaping. He takes three weeks during Aug. to go out west, and we give him the winters off, although he has been known to show up at 2am to plow snow. I fear the day he decides to call it quits, but that day will come. He shows up for my daughters b-days and is just a great all around guy, and I am fortunate to be able to call him a good friend to boot.
  7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

wow what a great find!!!!
  8. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

i'm about to hire my dad. he retired last week. trying to get him started in the mowing business.
  9. BZACK

BZACK LawnSite Member

I'm an ex-LCO....check with me in about 10 years and I'll be good to go again. Somehow the clinical pharmacology thing got in the way of my real passion. I'm out there every week with my Viking/trimmer/blower, spreading or spraying something every so often. Neighbors and family think I'm nuts but I have the most manicured yard in the development. Also design and install irrigation, lighting, etc.

Retirement won't be for me. I'll need a real job!