How many of you just run 21's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WJW Lawn, Jun 6, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Im just curious...how many of you just run 21's and nothing else? Full time or Part time.

2. kdbetters

kdbetters LawnSite Member

I run two 21's per crew(3 man crew), run 1 full time crew, and 1 part time/backup crew(mainly myself). We have 145 customers and actually mow about 105 per week. We run nothing else, I have tried and did not like "36, "37 lesco and toro's, respectively.

3. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

nothing but money making 21"'s on our stamp size lawns

4. WJW Lawn

What brand? Toro? Commercial or regular? By the way...I think it's awesome you only run 21's. I did it for a few years that way.

5. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Lincoln Ne... what a strange place.
    Large lawns, 3 man crews, all pushing 21"s around, bagging, cutting very low (2-2.5") and its very dry here... totally foolish.
    They have 5 or 6 of them on a tiny trailer.
    Each guy has his own way of cutting, so the yards are all striped up funny with lots of tire tracks - looks like crap.
    They even do commercial props with them... they look like crap too.

Never seen anything like it.
    I have no idea how they make any money - too slow, too many mouths to feed.

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

In a way yes and no, because we service both the city and surburbs.

We use mainly Honda 21-inch mower's with a few Toro proline /Exmark 21's as well, on right at 700 stamps in Chicago. Less expense, less fuel less maintenance.The vast majority of these accounts are, five hundred,to a thousand square feet of turf.No windshield time at all on these accounts.

On the suburban routes, Z-Turns, and 36 and 48 inch walks,21 for trim for a couple different commercial chains we maintain.These lawns go 1/2 acre of turf up to 30 acres for a few commercial account's we do.

7. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

I mow 162 lawns a week with the 21" prolines...only 1 crew of 4 workers...3 employees and myself...Its a very good setup for the lawns we have here, the average lawn takes 8 minutes ( we mow 55 lawns a day, 3 days a week)

8. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Lawnboy i bought this season... Small postage stamp size lawns.

I had one lady call that had a yard bigger then i normally do (since i'm not running a Z) but she said just give me a price, our mower wont start and i cant get anyone to return my call... So i use the lawn tractor (which i use for my own lawn) on it but other wise run my 21" only.

It's profitable for the size lawns i am currently targeting. Figure by doing this I'll work my way at paying cash for a Z.

All Clear

9. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I run a Poulan 21" on our small yards it has a 6.5 Honda and bags, mulches & discharges. It also stripes pretty nice on several of the lawns.

10. WJW Lawn

Ive seen guys running 21's on 1/2 and 3/4 acre yards