1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How many of you keep a firearm in the truck or on you?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MooseMan89, Feb 26, 2013.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Yep! In my experience they are one of the most loyal dogs. It can be used for good or bad.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Mr.LaVere

Mr.LaVere LawnSite Member

Excellent question! I ALWAYS carry concealed an XD 9mm sub compact. IWB CrossBreed holster. Very comfortable for all day carry. I live and work in a fairly safe city, but it has it's bad spots. I large CHURCH that we serviced for several years once had 2 drive-by shootings in less than two weeks!

3. DirtyPlastic

DirtyPlastic LawnSite Member

Haha, hadnt noticed that it has my location on. Since we are in the same area, Have you started mowing this year yet? Ive been doing clean ups, gunna start mowing tomorrow. Man i wish it was like last year (except for not hardly having any rain):cry:

4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Ill be mowing half my lawns this week. Most everything in Coldwater was mowed last week and clarklake and farwell lake should of been mowed last week. I am trying to get my clean ups done. Oh and grass lake is ready too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DirtyPlastic

Nice. Sounds like you have alot of work. This is only my 2nd year and i only have 30 customers, all in jackson. Ive had some offers to do bank owned property but they only want to pay $15. I would rather grow slowly and get good long term customers. For the ammount of driving they wanted me to do $15 is wayy to cheep.

6. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Good choice. They are getting paid upwards of $80 for 15,000 square feet or less, they'd be getting rich why you're going broke.

7. DirtyPlastic

Yea, thats part of the reason i didnt take it. A few years ago i worked for a property preservation company. We were getting $35 for normal suburban sized yards, and alot more for the big ones. I told this guy i would do it for $25 up to an acre. He said they were only paying him $20. I actually LOLed. Either hes getting ripped off or hes trying to rip me off.:nono:

8. Greg78

He's probably the 4th sub in line from the national company. There is probably a National Company subbing to a regional company subbing to another company that he is subbing from. Too many hands in the cookie jar, last one in gets crumbs!!!

9. Greg78

$25 up to an acre is still way to cheap. I get $65 for an acre on bank owned and still want to charge more since they are EOW and the grass can get pretty tall in 2 weeks. Thankfully I've only had one in the last year that was an acre.

10. DirtyPlastic

I might go hit up my old boss (we are still cool). He gets his work straight from Safeguard. I think im gunna try and build my buisness myself tho, dont wanna feel like im working for someone else.