how many of you landscapers topsoil your lawns for installs?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jonnyclark, Feb 25, 2007.

1. jonnyclark

jonnyclark LawnSite Member

I was just wondering how many of you guys haul and spread your own topsoil for new construction homes? If you haul and grade you soil what equipment are you using to do it? We haul and spread our own soil from the topsoil piles in the plans that we are working in. We use 2 F800's to haul, a JD 455G to load, a JD 4500 and a JD 110 backhoe to spread and grade. I guess I am looking for some constructive criticizm to help make things run a little smoother. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

I do it is the only way if builder will pay for it. But we always have us put it our planting beds, we use 3500 chevy, brigadeer end dump, John deere 270 and a royer 182. Used my F-550, crew cab, 4x4 xlt to haul one yard of plv. Top Soil and it voided my warranty after 3000 miles. FORD Claimed truck is not designed to haul mulch, dirt, coal, salt, sand, and rock.:confused:
  3. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

yea...the only way your allowed to haul materials is if you use 12,000 lbs of it like in the commercials!!

what the hell are trucks for if you can throw whatever you want in the back and transport it?
  4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear that about your truck, that should be a crime. I wonder why they are doing so poorly.
  5. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^ yeah Ford really doesn't stand behind anything anymore. Like our 2000 F550 with only 36K on it and its on its 2 engine.

For a full installment we have it dropped off by Piecre Trucking (usaully a quad axle's worth). As for spreading it a New Holland 865 and 2 guys to rake it out. But for smaller jobs we use out F450 and just pick it up.
  6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the lawncare/landscaping business. If requested, I will install STS, but if its over 2-1/2 tons, it is generally cheaper for someone who is in the business of hauling topsoil to deliver a load of topsoil, so I generally call my supplier. I mark the topsoil up 10-15%, and don't have to worry about all that driving.
  7. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Stop whining about your truck. What you have is a faulty dealer that wants to find reasons to not cover your truck. I am tired or reading you whines as I am sure many others here are as well.

When you bought it, did you tell them it woudl be used commercially? Have you hauled over the rated weight capacity? It does not matter what you haul, as long as you do not exceed the weight rating. I say you need to call Ford Corporate and talk to someone other than your dealer....
  8. farmboy555

farmboy555 LawnSite Member

I guess I need to call my Trailer Dealer up and see if it voids my warranty if I put horse's in my horse trailer I just purchased!!!!!
    It all goes back to the same thing, your equipment/warranty is only as good as the people/dealership that your working with. He just needs to get a new dealer/sevice dept.
  9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Travel'n, it sounds like the service manager doesnt want to stand behind you for one of two reasons; 1. He's too busy, or ignorant. or 2. He saw something with your truck (ie: excessive dents, or abuse) that he feels he shouldnt warranty it, b/c if Ford calls back the parts, he won't be able to prove warranty status. Either way, with only 3000 miles, if the dealership valued their customers, they would get it covered!!
    I sunk a Dodge in a flooded parking lot once, with 25000 miles on the truck (dont ask), and my dealership actually Warrantied my motor. They had to pull some strings and do a lot of sweet talking with the warranty dept. at Dodge, but they got it done!