1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many of you lawn cutters do yor own repairs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by careco, Apr 8, 2003.

1. careco

careco LawnSite Member

Was wondering how many of you guys out there do your own repairs ? I do all my own once the warranty is up! I have a 1996 721 Grasshopper and a 618 Grasshopper The 721 has 4,000+ hours on it and the 618 has about 1500, back up one Change the hydro oil and filter 2 times a year and the engine oil and filter every 50 hours ! Buy all my tires at cedar rapid tire and some parts and blades at J Thomas and Tractor Supply ! and the rest at the local Grasshopper dealer ! Hydo oil at Wal*Mart and filter at Discount Auto -Pure One ! Like to take the time to thank all those who replied to my last thread ( How long have you been cutting grass)
    R.F.O.'S CARECO! :blob1:
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to do the maintenance myself. Like you said about the warranty, if covered I have the dealer do repairs. If not covered I try to handle myself.
  3. careco

careco LawnSite Member

Not any warranty left on mine :dizzy:
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We do most of our own repairs in our shop. If it is something major, my buddy owns a mower shop and I bring it to him. :cool:
  5. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I was a power equipment and an auto mechanic for years before I started landscaping so it makes repairs and maintenance easy
  6. careco

careco LawnSite Member

Being an Ex Golf Course Mechanic helps !:angel:
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a in house mechanic do most of our work including welding (6-7 plow trucks to maintain in winterand skidsteers) 6-7 mowers going all summer. We do have an oil company do oil changes on our Powerstoke diesels (3 in season at 14 quarts of oil each!)
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

All my own here, too. I don't trust any dealer to make repairs. You never know whay you're getting, (or not getting). Same with any welding or anything that needs to be done. As a matter of fact, we rebuild motors and do alot of other repair for several other lco's in the area. Anyone in our area, that has any trouble with anything, we are always glad to help out. I have a whole list of people you can talk to that we've helped before!;)
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's something I feel pretty comfotable with, I will try it. If I don't want to mess with it I drop it off at my dealer and use my backup machine until it is done.
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Pretty fortunate here. Matt has been able to do all repairs needed on the equipment and most everything on the truck.
    When it comes to welding though, he does go to a welder.