1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many of you offer different programs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SidelinePropMgr, Feb 28, 2007.

1. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr LawnSite Member

I am going to increase my fert and squirt business this year. Fully licensed and insured. I was thinking about offering 3 levels of service.

1. Basic-Weed & Feed, fert, Weed & Feed

2. Inter.- fert/pre-m. fert/post/m, fert, fert/pre/m, winterizer

3. Top-fert/pre-m, fert/post/m, fert, grub app., fert/pre-m, aeration, winterize

Does this sound like a good deal to cover all levels of service. Any advice or feedback is greatly welcomed. Is there any adjustments you would make to the apps or product categories?
  2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

My recomendation would be to offer
    1.Pre -emergents, Feeding and post emergents spray as one program. 6 apps
    2.Then sell Flea and tick treatments as another Say 2-3 apps p/year
    3.Shrub treatment with fungicides/ hort oils 2-3 apps
    4.Preventative disease program for turf 3 apps.
    But have your core 6 step program include both pre and post weed control. hope this is helpful.
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I do a 6 step program but always have a leave-behind card to up-sell aeration, grub control ,insect control
  4. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not offer any W & F. I tried it my first year and it was not feasible for a professional. Timing is so critical in that the lawn has to be wet for it to be effective so for most of the day you won't be able to apply it. Plus, you can't have any rain for at least 24 hours, more likely 48 hours and the control of weeds is not nearly as good as a liquid weed control product. Another problem is that you are really limited in the fertilizer blends you have available.
    My programs follow;
    Premium package
    6 Step, Complete Pre-M coverage with no fert, early spring fertilizer is the wrong thing to do to a lawn, late spring and fall weed control, late spring, early fall and late fall fert.
    5 1/2 step. Same as above except only Pre-M within sidewalks and driveways.
    5 step, remove any Pre-M coverage, this is my most popular program. If any crabgrass pops up I kill it with Drive.
    4 step, spring and fall liquid weed control and late spring and mid fall fertilization.
    I am in the northern zone and virtually none of my customers have irrigation.
    With my programs it is imperative that the correct fertilizer is used at the correct time.
    Been doing this for three years and my lawns look great.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care
  5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Very good thread. I was going to develop a series of packages over the winter to put in my pre-pay letter, but ran out of time, so, maybe next winter? What I was thinking is back in the day before Trugreen ruined Chemlawn, we had what was called an "estate packeage" at Chemlawn. I beleive it was a 6 or maybe 7 app. program on monthly visits. It included crack and crevice weed control, aeration, grub app., fert (1/2 lb.+/-) and weed control (as needed)each visit, a snow mold app., I am trying to think if there was anything else. I think there is a great market for this to set yourself apart from the cookie cutter applicator. It's not for every market, and not for every customer, but at Chemlawn we were in a newer suburban area in the early 90's and we had two full time routes of just these accounts. Primo dollars.
  6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Same as INDY turf. 6 steps and upsell disease, insect, aeration and overseeding services.

I would not recommend offering 2 or 3 different programs.

Very difficult to manage multiple programs for multiple customers.

You should be selling your program as a quality program. You do it right let the other guys skimp.

Can exceptions be made?

Yes, if you have a customer comment on price then maybe you can offer a basic program rather than losing the customer.

Just my 3 cents.
  7. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I would take exception to the first app with no fert. It depends on what has happened on the lawn in the past. If there has been no fert for a while or not enough in fall a 1/4 rate of N will definitley help the lawn and will do no harm. I usually do a 1/4 of N on the first service.
    The other thing is that we are talking aboutmaintenance programs. The standard maintenance program will not corrrect any deficiencies. Soil test has to be the first step.
  8. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I would generally agree with you about 1/4 of fertilizer in the spring if there has been no history of fertilization. As far as the soil test goes I have done plenty of them in my area and have found the soils here to be slightly high in PH and not lacking in Phosphorous and Potassium so they have not had that great a bearing on my fertilization practices. My early fall fertilizer has micro-nutrients in it.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care
  9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

For the most part the lawns are OK. Its new construction and ancient lawns that usually require correctives. I put 5# total N down per year.
  10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Bingo, I think that was another part of the estate service, or at least it should be.