How many of you offer Seal Coating?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by howardsells2000, May 28, 2006.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been reading the seal coating links and seems that alot of you may be offering this service. The only problem I see is that it seems that the busiest time for mowing is also the busiest time for seal coating. It does seem like it might be a good second business. What do you all think?

Happy Memorial Day.:usflag:
  2. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

i too am considering it, but thinking of doing it in the fall only when mowing slows down.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

seal coating around here is just like lawn service "EVERYBODY DOES IT"
    Before you know it you'll find out your netting 10cents on the dollar.
  4. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

so no one up here does it. a guy has a driveway 20 feet wide, 20 feet long. worlds smallest drive.
    I bit it at 200 bucks. figured i'll have 30 bucks of materials into it with the goop from homedepot, 2 squeegees, and ruining an old pair of shoes.
    guy said "do it tomorrow!!!"
    seems pretty easy.
    what am i mising here?
    thanks, I've never done it, or seen it done.
  5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

it's pretty simple, just be sure to mix up the sealant before using it. i would ofer it, but i already have enough buisness.
  6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Why bother?
    We cannot even keep up with the lawn service, landscaping, and palm trimming.

I think it is funny when I see lawn guys that advertise lawn service, pool cleaning, handyman, and seal coating. I mean come on big a business and stick with it. Typically it is the scrubs I see that offer every service under the sun...
  7. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Just by coincidence when I arrived at one of my customers house I notice her driveway had recently been seal coated. I explained to her that I have been thinking about getting into that business. She paid $300.00 to have it done. It took the guys about 1.5 - 2.0 hours. In my opinion that is pretty good money. I can't mow and make that kind of money. I struggle to make $50.00 an hour. It makes me want to learn more about that business.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

We have been doing it for 2 years now, around aug - oct we now have 13 customers that get it done every year

Richie K :)