1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many of you publish (on website, fliers, etc) your prices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Let it Grow, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm wondering whether you guys think I should publish all of my prices on my website, ads, fliers etc.

I'm thinking of updating my website with all of my prices (some are posted now) and printing them on my fliers, and maybe on my direct mailings.
  2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem with publishing prices is that everyone thinks of their lawn as "average."
    I can hear them now..."Average lawn for 15-29 per week? Why is your price for mine $60?"
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I would not reccomend advertising prices...especially on the internet. They usually wil lead to nothing except letdows, moans and groans from future clients. You really cant quote a job until you are their and doing it...explain on your site that you would be happy to give an estimate (free,?)

This will give you somthing to fall back on and avoid the "Well..,you said my lawn would only be 30 dollars online...why is it suddenly turing into 40 dollars....whine whine whine.."

Get my drift..........................
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Never! Besides the aforementioned reasons, I wouldn't want to tip off a competitor. Unless your prices are low, you can scare of clients before you have had a good chance to "sell" the service to them on phone or in person. I've got a customer who I've had all year, never met the lady because I was able to sell it to her on the phone.
    If you publish prices all it will do is cause you problems. The only exception I would make is for mulch, firewood, rock, dirt, etc. a "product". Service rates never listed but products maybe.
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

6. thomaslawncare

thomaslawncare LawnSite Member

I put a average price on my fliers but I only put those out to areas that I know will have the size lawn I am targetting for that price.....
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We've had our prices published on our website and flyers for years. I've found BETTER results since we've been doing that. And I rarely get the kind of person Crawdad is talking about. Most people with larger lawns understand they are larger than normal and expect a higher price. 9 times out of 10, I'll get a comment like, "I know your ad said tha 'average' lawn. And I am sure mine is larger than average. But how much more would it be???" Most people are pleasantly surprised when they find out it's not all THAT much more. And some times what they think is larger is actually normal and I can just tell them, "Actually. I can do this for the price we quoted. Your lawn is not much bigger than average."

Anyway, I've had great success with listing our prices. Most people tell me that's one of the reasons they chose us - because we listed our prices.
  8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah Lewis, but did you tell them that you are the only landscaper in the whole area !!

Just kidding....

There are dozens if not hundreds of landscape maintenance companies around, and Lewis keeps growing.

His trucks are all over the place here. The vehicles (red) are so numerous on the local streets, it probably looks like connect-the-dots from the air in airplanes landing in Hillsboro to the west of Portland.
  9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -