1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many of you run strait 30 W oil.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Aug 9, 2004.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just wondering how many of you use strait 30 w oil in your equipment and why?
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Valvoline 30wt. We use it because that is what our dealer recommended, and it is too expensive to run synthetic when we change oil every 25 to 30 hrs.
  3. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

I've found that the additional fuel savings by far make up for the additional expense of synthetic oil. I use Synergyn oil products in everything.
  4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

air cooled engines run really hot and thanks to EPA they are now running even hotter. Run SAE 30 unless it is snowing. 10W-30 just gets thinned out too must. Now on Kohler engine with hydraulic lifters you MUST run 10W-30 or the lifters will sound like they are going to jump out of the engine and run off down the street.
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I use 10-w30 on my 2 kohler engines. My briggs takes sae30, as does my 21 inch push mower.
  6. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

i use straight 30 on my 25 hp kohler stump grinder ..vermeer reccomendation
  7. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

i use Moble 1 Try-synthetic in my 25 kholer! runs great!
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for all the information!
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I use 30 weight Castrol mixed with Lucas oil conditioner. The Lucas really keeps the oil from thinning out. Matter of fact, I changed the oil during the winter and almost had to cut the Lucas with scissors!