How many of you started out as a scrub ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Earth, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Green Earth

Green Earth LawnSite Member

I would say I was a semi scrub my first year. I wasn't a low baller. I just didn't have the proper equipment and had to do everything the hard way. I'd let people take advantage of me. I remember pulling poison ivy out of a fence row for $10. I had to put food on the table. 2nd year ran up some credit cards and bought some nicer equipment and went from there. :D

2. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I think we all did. Unless we inherited some money or a business. We just don't like to admit it.

3. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

i agree, everyone has 2 start from the ground up which means you are/ used 2 be a scrub. My 1st year I had a snapper 21" and a homelite trimmer & blower.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

90% of us did, and the other 10% are lying.

5. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

I am sure I looked like a "Scrub" in the beginning, however I never lowballed always carried insurance and collected sales tax ther fore I donot believe I was a "Scrub"....... On a side note I must say that I have 10 fold the respect for the so called ''Scrub" who is indeed working at his trade than the Silverspoon type who seem to show up every now and then with brand new everything.......

6. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

you collect sales tax on cutting grass can you do that ?

7. Green Earth

In Ohio if you do over $5000 a year in a service business you have to collect sales tax. I have been doing it for years.

8. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

If you don't collect sales tax in Pa you are breaking the law.This goes back to 1991.
    You definitely qualify as a scrub!!!Ya better call the Pa. State Dept of Revenue,pronto!!!

9. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Can do that , hell its the law you must collect 8.25% on the dollar and pay quartely payments to N.Y.

10. Green Earth

I pay monthly.