1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

How many of you started out as a scrub ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Earth, Mar 6, 2005.

  1. Green Earth

    Green Earth LawnSite Member
    Posts: 46

    I would say I was a semi scrub my first year. I wasn't a low baller. I just didn't have the proper equipment and had to do everything the hard way. I'd let people take advantage of me. I remember pulling poison ivy out of a fence row for $10. I had to put food on the table. 2nd year ran up some credit cards and bought some nicer equipment and went from there. :D
  2. lampeslawnservice

    lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 323

    I think we all did. Unless we inherited some money or a business. We just don't like to admit it.
  3. ince8728

    ince8728 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 249

    i agree, everyone has 2 start from the ground up which means you are/ used 2 be a scrub. My 1st year I had a snapper 21" and a homelite trimmer & blower.
  4. Itsgottobegreen

    Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,177

    90% of us did, and the other 10% are lying.
  5. Jackman

    Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone
    Posts: 231

    I am sure I looked like a "Scrub" in the beginning, however I never lowballed always carried insurance and collected sales tax ther fore I donot believe I was a "Scrub"....... On a side note I must say that I have 10 fold the respect for the so called ''Scrub" who is indeed working at his trade than the Silverspoon type who seem to show up every now and then with brand new everything.......
  6. Todd's lawncare

    Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A
    Posts: 548

    you collect sales tax on cutting grass can you do that ?
  7. Green Earth

    Green Earth LawnSite Member
    Posts: 46

    In Ohio if you do over $5000 a year in a service business you have to collect sales tax. I have been doing it for years.
  8. old dog

    old dog LawnSite Member
    Posts: 213

    If you don't collect sales tax in Pa you are breaking the law.This goes back to 1991.
    You definitely qualify as a scrub!!!Ya better call the Pa. State Dept of Revenue,pronto!!!
  9. Jackman

    Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone
    Posts: 231

    Can do that , hell its the law you must collect 8.25% on the dollar and pay quartely payments to N.Y.
  10. Green Earth

    Green Earth LawnSite Member
    Posts: 46

    I pay monthly.

Share This Page