1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many of you time yourselves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AltaLawnCare, Sep 27, 2001.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a stop watch (see my post in Off Topic Forum). I timed a job today that I bid at 2 hours - It took me 1 hr and 37 minutes to actually cut it. ;)

I leave the SW in the truck, punch it when I get out and again when I'm finished and get back in the truck to leave.

I'm going to try to use it to estimate gas usage per job also.
  2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think we look at the clock in the truck when we get out and then when we enter. We just get a rough idea of how long it takes us. I think next year we will definitely look at the time more accurately.

We also want to look at the time spent each day. Add the hours up for the year worked and look at expenses and profit margin that we want. This will give us an accurate look at what is needed per hour to achieve our goals for next year so we can make any adjustments that are needed.
  3. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Alta, I time myself once a month on each job. I don't have a stopwatch but my trusty Timex works just fine. (Stopwatch is great idea). I do just as you do except I look at my watch when I pull up and when I'm leaving. I do this monthly to achieve an average for the cutting year which can be used for bidding properties that are similar.
  4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

yes, every job, every day. ....written on a worksheet... code for travel, code for regular maintenance. End of the year this can be used for more accurate bidding and to help sort out the "not so good contracts".
  5. Butchs Lawn

Butchs Lawn LawnSite Member

I do excatly what KRIS does it much easier to bid other jobs of the same size if you keep track daily.also keeps track of workers producity.see if there not slacking off to much.
  6. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Bill, listen to what they are telling you about logging times and dates, because times can change greatly depending on the season! Always try place your bids on what the job will take you in heavy spring growth, that way by the time summer hits
    you'll be blowing that time out of the water, also
    don't use the time to compete aginst your self, in that you won't be doing the quality job that your clients deserve. Try to use it as a tool to stay on track through out the day and to help with you ajust your bids if needed.
  7. casey

casey Guest

I time our jobs down to the minute. All small res. props.
    10 min lawn $21-12 min. lawn $25-15 min lawn $29-18 min. lawn $33. No drive time less $1 or $2. This usually works out to $105 to $110 per hr. since we end up with multiple lawns on each street.
  8. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

I think Kris said best
  9. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

Yes, I do on every lawn
  10. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Like some of the others every lawn every time. This helps at the end of the year, I add up all the times to get the average so i know if the price needs to be raised.

I just write it on their mowing card when I stop and write the time out when i get back in the truck.