How many of you work in Public Service??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by memac259, Mar 4, 2008.

1. memac259

memac259 LawnSite Member

Seems like this fits in with hours and lifestyles of law enforcement and fire fighters. How many of you do lawn care and are police, corrections, firefighters, etc???

2. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

Full time LCO / Paid on call firefighter .... Hope to be full time FFer soon !!!

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

fulltime firefighter/EMT and full time LCO here latelty.;):usflag:

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I am not a fire/police/rescue person. I know 3 guys that are and not to jump on any toes here but I hate these guys doing/trying to do what I and other LCO/landscapers do. Sure they may mow a few lawns for beer, install a few landscapes, but never fails, they call me or others for advice, or if I can go dig something out or haul something away or help finish a job because there 3 day fulltime stint is hard to get a job done on time, work weekends and then leave for a couple days again when the homeowner is getting angry b/c there working there on a sunday or its been 3-4 days since the crew as been there or now that the grass is a ft tall they call me to cut it for this time b/c they can't bag that much with there little craftsman. Nice guys and all but come on already.

5. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

MEETS1 are you serious, dont lump all of us public service guys together. My business was growing so fast due to word of mouth and not one bit of advertising, I ended up selling the business because I couldnt do all the work myself and try to hire someone to take over while I am at the station well lets just say I got tired of all the phone messages complaining how bad of a job my workers had done. Yes I tried to hire more than one to do the work and nobody seems to understand how to manicure lawns, everyone just wants to cut grass. It sounds like the guys that are mad about public service ppl doing this on the side are jelous because they know we are getting paid regardless of what the economy does. Dont hate the player, hate the game. Now I got to go to the station and save a life or two for my measily $38000 a year. Thats right $38000

6. progressivelawncare

progressivelawncare LawnSite Member

i am a volunteer firefighter in a rural area. full time lawncare and landscaping.

7. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

Police Chief here !! I work every day after I get off and all weekend. Most of the time we are working with the headlights from the truck but it always gets done.

MEETS1 opnions are like azz holes everyone has one !!

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Nothing met towards you guys but sometimes around my area it seems that the lco/landscaper guys are staying busy but need to scratch for things due to 3-5 people dapplin the business of HGTV want-to-be's. The other thing that drives me nuts is snow removal around my area. Every farmer has a loader and tractor and always under bidding everyone for plowing lots. They can't make a living, they need to push snow, they need to work construction/drive truck/etc to make ends meet. Like whatever - the ones I know that are doing this farm 1000+ acres, 4-5 hog confinements, maybe a chicken laying house building or two or 100's head of cattle.

Just venting to the local guys so go save a life or two and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors!

9. memac259

memac259 LawnSite Member

Wasn't trying to create controversy....I work in corrections and just thought alot of lawn care also work in public service. I don't know about anyone else but I take care of my customers, never needed anyone "full time" bailing me out..............by the way, even though I have a full time job, I still put in 50-60 hours a week working lawn care as my "part-time" job!

10. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

we have everyother day off and every 10 days we get 6 in a row, i own only commercial equipment. i dont call on anyone to finish my work for me--thats why it's my work. i make more $ in lawn care than at the FD.sometimes i have guys out while i am at work too. i am insured and licensed. DONT THINK THAT ALL FIREMEN/POLICE/EMS guys ARE SCRUBS:usflag: