How many of you work weekends

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by molivares, Mar 5, 2003.

1. molivares

molivares LawnSite Member

How many of you guy's work weekends and why?

How many hrs a week do you work?

Any helpful would be helpful to my research Thank you.

2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I rarely schedule work for weekends, but that's on purpose. Inevitably, I have to go out and finish jobs, talk with customers, bid jobs, do maintenance on equipment, or work at my mother-in-law's house!

3. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Yes I work weekends because that way I can take the whole winter off from physical labor. No snow. Just office work.

There is a sliding scale to the work hours. Shorter in the fall and spring. I work about 3000 hrs in 9 months. works out to about 85 hrs a week.

Hope that helps you,
    mike

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I will work on Saturday for most of the day but refuse to work on Sunday. You need to have some down time and family time.

Gravely_Man

5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

We usually work a short day on Mon. until about 3-4 unless we are on a big job and then a short day on Sat. until the end of june. and again sept -oct. We use sat. for misc jobs that need done or finished and also use it as a rain make up day when needed. The rest of the week we are at min. 12 hrs on job site except the end of july and august. We try not to work Sun. unless it rains a lot for a couple of weeks and we start getting far behind.
    It is alot of hrs to work but I enjoy the down time in august and the winter. Noi other job will let you have a month off at a time.

6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn LawnSite Member

Well I'm a owner/operator of a welding biz and i go 7 days a week,granted thats not always 12-14 hours a day,but everyday i'm doing something involved with the biz.Why?,cause if i don't,the other guy will and soon enough i'd be workin 1 day a week!I like it,theres always a challenge to figure out and overcome,i'd rather bust my azz now and relax later!

Hope not being in the lawn care biz won't mess up your poll,I repair alot of mowers and equipment and like to read what these guy's are going thru with there equip. and how they are fixing them:)

7. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I try not to have the guys work saturdays. Never on Sunday. Sometimes in the spring we don't really have an option for the sat. work. If the winter keeps going this way we will have to work on saturdays just to keep up. When we do work on Sat I try to get the guys out in a half day though.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I try to do all the cutting Monday - Friday. Then do other things , such as pruning, bed maintenance, spot spraying, ect.,on the weekends. I think I took off 3 weekends last year.

9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan on only doing Honey do work on the weekends this season.

10. Rob's Lawn Care

Rob's Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Gravely Man has it right, never work on Sunday's, thats your family time and take a break time. Whether your need it or not.:)