1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many of you would take this on?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by MDLawn, Apr 4, 2011.

1. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

So I get an email, with the picture below, from a potential customer in need of removing this large 10' x 30' area of english ivy. It is all over the place. I do not have a pesticide certification so that is out of the question for me. The only problem I see is this getting out of control time wise and the price escalating through the roof!! Their thoughts were to put grass in its place but they say it is a relatively shady area. I have successfully removed areas of ivy and replace with a lawn, but nothing this large and in a not so good place for growing grass. Suggestions, opinions, are appreciated. Going to give an estimate, just not sure its worth the time for a "No Thanks".

2. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

If it was me, I would do the work. If you need, find a person with a PL, and have them spray with RU, wait a couple of weeks, spray again if it starts to green up..till the area, add some ammends..and plant. I would probably charge around 500 give or take, but thats just me

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

that sounds like a good plan. it might turn into another regular customer as well so its better to do the work if you can instead of turning it down
  4. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it warm enough to use Round-up? Check your labels!
  5. MDLawn

I'm not a certified applicator so for me its out of the question.
  6. MDLawn

Its not that I don't want the job I just know this can be a pain and even more so without killing it off some. Better looking into the applicator classes. Just have to figure out the best approach to this. Would love to just dig it out but that is rediculous not to mention not needed and expensive.
  7. Why wouldn't you take this job?? Cleanups for me are one of my most profitable services as people usually want it done on the spot and won't price shop it...take it and upsell some landscaping!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

put a brush blade on a trimmer and go to town!!! run an old push mower over it
  9. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

These jobs scare people way more than necessary.... just don't bring a knife to a gunfight and make it worth the money. Don't mow it, you don't need to spray it or apply tons of elbow grease- rent a very small mini-ex and scarify the ground with the toothed bucket. Start in the corner and work your way out, loosening the soil and roots (like the top 2") and you'll soon have a HUGE wad of ivy to toss in the truck. Yes, you'll have to do some hand work but this is a great way to grub out 98% of a thick groundcover mat.

Digging it out is not crazy- it's probably the best way to eradicate it. I've done this before and it works great.

Half-a** it, and you'll have problems.
  10. rowdiestang

rowdiestang LawnSite Member

You can use round up but it needs a surfactant in it to help stick it to the leaf, the leaves are too waxy, unless it is new growth. I agree with the above, use a small tractor and scrape it up.