How Many of You ........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Wes, May 12, 2007.

1. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

Have cut off their roll bars from their Z's?

I just cut mine off today, I got tired of that stupid crap hanging up on tree limbs, even with it folded in the down position. I've never used it in the upright position. I found it to be more of a safety hazard than a saftey feature. Just curious!

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't see any issue with removing it but if I was mowing on any kind of slopes I'd sure as hell have it on and in the up position.

3. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Out of the three zero turns we have only one came with a roll bar. I took that off shortly after buying it, but after reading about several people getting killed on Zs from rolling over last year I put it back on. Part of the reason is my kids work for me and run them.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I keep mine on... I also cut a large flat 10 acres so I purchased the sun TOP

it looks kind of dumb, "kind of golf cart" but you would be surprised at how it keeps the sun off ya.... hear in TEXAS when it gets 110 120 in the shade WE run for shade

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We took them off the Bobcats and the Steiners. My wife forgot about the rollbars on the new Steiner and tried to drive into the cube van. Lucky it stalled real quick or it could have been bad. It's 4 wheel drive and it lifted the front end right up before it stalled. I hit a low hanging branch with the Bobcat and that sealed the deal to remove it.

6. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

I leave mine on. It's no higher than the rear bags when folded down. I fold it up and use the seatbelt when i mow slopes. Extra 10 seconds it takes to fold it up is worth it to make sure my kids don't lose their daddy :)

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

mine is on and i have a cool top fan mounted on it. more than makes up for the trouble the bar causes when mowing under trees etc.

8. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

My Ferris 4000 and Toro didn't come with ROPS but the Ferris 3100 did. After a week I ended up taking the ROPS off. Caught too many branches.

9. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

I have one mower with ROPS. I love it. I added a new service..........pruning low limbs in lawn areas. Another added benefit of trimming these low limbs is you don't run into them when string trimming. Always try to take a negative and make it a positive.

10. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

I have two with ROPS and 1 without But I ended up taking 1 of the ROPS off as it keep hanging on every limb at 1 property we did have not put it back on yet I just ordered a cozy cab and am going to try it on the mower with
    the ROPS still on the mower and see if it will help keep me from baking in the sun while on mower