How many of

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by burntfescue, Jul 29, 2006.

1. burntfescue

burntfescue LawnSite Member
    from athens

you have a Agriculture degree in Landscaping, turfgrass or Landscape architecture?

Tell us about how you used it after you graduated!

2. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have a turfgrass degree. When I graduated I went to be an assistant golf course superintendent for 3 years, then was a head superintendent for two years before being canned for political b.s. involved in country clubs and decided to work for myself. So far so good, first year and over $50,000 in revenue since March.

3. burntfescue

from athens

tell me more!

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Barefoot- burnt is trying to figure out if the school route is worth it, what is it worth to others and will it have merit in his own company.

I am a big believer in education, There is never enough, But my lifestyle is given to me because of higher ed. non of which is in landscape. what are your feelings.

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Education does not guarantee success, nor lack of formal education guarantee failure.

The ability to lean, either from experience or formal surroundings both have advantages.

6. barefootlawnsandlandscape

A college education is definitely worth pursuing. You learn life experiences that are invaluable to your success as a business owner. I can tell you that the connections I made in college are what has been the most help to me. I would say if it is possible to go for it. As far as what I do with my business, mow, fertilize, weed control, and landscape.

7. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

same as barefoot, graduated with an agricultural degree/ turfgrass management three years ago. Went back to working as a asst. sup and jumped around to a couple of courses. Worked as an interim sup. last summer in a hellhole and vowed never to do it again. Went full time in my own business this year and have 24 clients and 1 comm property so far.
    The degree opened my eyes to alot of different cultural practices for bentgrass and finally understood the reasons why i did certain things and when i did them. Having a degree in this business deviantly helps me in this business being able to identify potential problems and coming up with solutions. Plus, i'm not trying to keep bentgrass mowed at 1/8 in. alive during the summer!

8. barefootlawnsandlandscape

dc,

Isn't that the best thing about getting out of the golf courses, not as much stress, bentgrass at 3mm with 105 degree heat index, and 100 rounds a day trampling it with members asking why is the grass thinning! Wow why did I ever do that.

9. burntfescue

from athens

for the input.