How many OLD Dodge trucks.......

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grasscatcher2k3, Jun 23, 2003.

1. grasscatcher2k3

grasscatcher2k3 LawnSite Member

I love the looks on the Dodge trucks, especially the new ones. I like the Fords next (you should see the '04 F-150!!!), then I like the Chevy's last. However, the Ford and Chevy's have a proven track record, they last. Here is where I pose my question......How many OLD Dodge trucks do you see running around anymore. I see a lot of old Fords and Chevy's, but no Dodges. What happened to the Power Wagon's. Not intending to "Dis" the Dodge guy's, but I hope the new Dodge trucks last longer than the old ones. GOOD LUCK!

2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

late 70's to early 90's dodges don't die. I went 220,000 at least on the original drivetrain of an '87 power ram. About to hit 200,000 on a '90 power ram.

3. grasscatcher2k3

How many trucks did Dodge produce between those years vice how many do you see on the road today. I'm not saying that Dodge is ****, but I would be cautious in buying one simply because I've been from here to Indiana on trips and see very few if any Old dodge trucks. Plenty of Chevy's and Ford's though. OK...OK....I'll say it.......DODGE IS ****!.....

Just kiddin'.

4. grasscatcher2k3

C R a P. I didn't thing that was a cus word. Not here in Va anyway.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Dodge isn't the best quality trucks the biggest problem is the body falls off of them the fit and finish in the body isn't that great.

You do see more old Ford and Chev trucks on the road because they are a better quality truck, around its Ford and Chev country its the two dominant brands. Dodge isn't that common even newer Dodges are not that common this area is most made up of two industries Forestry and Commerical fishing. The loggers almost own all Ford trucks the commercial fisherman are Fords or Chevs the excavation contractors are Ford or Chev.

Ford and Chev do have a proven track record so guys that need a good work truck buy them most loggers won't take a Dodge into the bush. Its the same with the gravelmines its pretty rare you see a Dodge used either its Ford and Chebbys covered in white dust and caked with dirt.

6. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

i have a 92 dodge dakota with over 260,000 miles and still going strong. of course it has the 318 V8.

7. I have a 75 power wagon that I use for some clean ups, branches from pruning and hauling mulch etc. Only drive it 2-3 k miles year.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I think the old Power Wagons were pretty tough trucks. You will find a whole lot more Dodge 4x4 trucks from the 50's and 60's around than you will Ford or Chevy trucks from that era.
    In fact, I have 2 1958 Dodge W200's and one 1959, W300M.
    I was just at a truck rally and swap meet where there were 98 old Dodge 4x4 trucks. Some had been rebuilt, but some were still running daily without any major rebuild. I bet you could not get that many 50's and 60's Ford or Chevy 4x4's together in one place. :D

9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

If you find a 50's Ford 4x4,you better buy it.1959 is the first year they offered 4x4 in a pick-up.It was a conversion,it wasn't all ford. Ford did build a jeep(GPW)before that,Im not sure the yrs.
    Those old BIG Dodge 4x4s are cool,M37 is it?:rolleyes:

10. grasscatcher2k3

I don't think you could get 1/8th as many Dodges in one place with Ford's and Chevy's. Go to trucktrader.com and do a search. I searched for 1950 thru 1980, $100 thru $30,000:
    Ford: 300 ads
    Chevy: 182 ads
    Dodge: 30 ads

I'm willing to put some money on it that the reason that there aren't so many Dodge trucks for sale is NOT because people are EXTRA proud of then nor have they become such HOT collectors items. They have always been an inferior product when it came to trucks. Some of their hot rod cars have been real nice, but trucks..........NOPE. I still like to look at them, but real REAL leary of purchasing one. They make the F-150 here in town (Norfolk, Va) and let me tell you.....if you haven't seen the new 2004 F-150, I really think you're going to like it.

Keep it safe out there guys/gals.