How many part timers are going to bail after this year?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by IA_James, Aug 31, 2007.

?

Are you staying or what?

1. Part time, bailing

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Part time, staying

41 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. Full time, bailing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Full time, staying

44 vote(s)
    50.6%
  1. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Just how it sounds, how many of you jumped in with 1 or both feet, and it wasn't as much money as you hoped. Or it was as much money as you hoped, but mower repairs/replacement ate up the dineros. Or you rode your mower into a lake. Whatever. Like I say, how many people that were trying to part time it are going to jump ship after this year?

2. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

not me i started late and have made a nice chunk of change. i plan on sticking with it, i enjoy it. planning on upping my equipment and getting some com. accounts.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I've been here 6 years now. It was worse my first year than this year so I'll stick around until something better comes along. I've had two job offers this month, one of which I'm still considering since it was very very tempting, about 30% more than I am making now, 23% ownership, & benefits included. We'll see though. I enjoy working by myself all day. People wear me out, especially the people who offered me the position!

4. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

thinking about it.im small time and didnt get but one new yard this year.i cut part time but i find myself turning down overtime hours at my day job cause i gotta go cut a 40 dollar yard.competition is tough in my area.i see young guys loaded with equipment more and more every week.i also see older retired guys pulling around their lawn tractors on little home made trailers getting jobs in my subdivision.if i had more time i would work harder to get more jobs.i read a lot of post on here about appearance and what have you and i keep my truck and stuff clean,but ive realized all the people just care about the bottom line.they want their yard cut as cheap as possible,usually only every 2 weeks,dont want to pay for leaf removal.dont want their gutters cleaned(they must like those little maple trees in there),no fertilizer or weed control etc.....but i must say i like cutting grass.im 40 now and i wished id started back when i was 18.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

This may sound harsh, but that's your fault and no one else's. Get off your butt and advertise.

Not all that is true in all cases. Many of my customers care about their property's appearance, and will pay a little extra to have it look right each week rather than looking like crap work done by the local scrub for a few bucks less.

As for myself, I'm part-time now and I'm taking the plunge to full-time next spring.

6. The Cutting Edge

The Cutting Edge LawnSite Member

Guys that are thinking of getting out you are crazy... This is a very lucritive business. I am run my business like I am playing in the World Series of Poker, " I'M ALL IN ". I was making aroung 35k the first year but know into my third year I am well in my triple didgits and thats bring home. You guys need to keep up you equipment and go all in and get a new rig I am telling you that apperance is everything!!! I do high end residentail homes that bring in around 800.00 per month per house. These people are business owners that believe if you look good with your equipment and rig then you got to know what you doing and will gladly pay more for that itself. I know I am a newby to many but take some of this advise and you will see. Working for yourself is much better than working for Tom, Dick, or Harry. Just stick it out and do what I have mentioned and do quality work and the word of mouth will get you very far in this biz..

7. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

be as harsh as you want.i dont know you.neither feed you or sleep with you.everyone has an opinion.you may be in a great area with $300,000 homes.i am not.the average home in the area i work in is 120k to 200k.i have a full time job and i average 80,000/year i started cutting grass cause i like it and i love the better yards i do.i like it when they pay me and say the yard looks wonderful.but i also have yards i cut for 25 bucks that are all weeds and the customers dont care.they have gutters falling of the house and still dont care.if i was 18 again id love to start all out in lawncare i know there is money there but its a full time adventure for most around here.......oh yea thanks for your opinion again.

8. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

Nah, I've been PT for, wow, 3 years now. Next year I plan on going either full time or 3/4 time. I might have a neat job lined up at a prairie greenhouse for a few hours a day. But yea, Its just like anything else...

9. aracad

aracad LawnSite Member

Hey I am 20 miles east of Cinti. HELP ME I am new!!
    Need more accounts for next year. Got any extras? LOL!

10. The Cutting Edge

The Cutting Edge LawnSite Member

Aracad
    I am actually in the Milford area, I cant sell any accounts but I can tell you that a certain company in our area is going to be losing all their U.D.F. accounts so there will be alot of commercial work being offered around here with the U.D.F.'S.