how many part timers are LEGITIMATE?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 25, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i know there are more part timers than full timers. i know most people start out part time, before turning full time. my question is ...how many of you part timers are legit? i for one, found it impossible, or definitely not worthwhile, to run a totally legit business on a part time basis. at the end of the day, with the amount of time i had on a part time basis, i just wasn't making enough money to justify my sweat, and the expense of being "on the level." so, let's hear it

2. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

looking to go legit next year. The worst part is paying taxes. Figure this into your costs and you should be fine. I got a quote of $500 for insurance for liability for a solo operation and a rate of 1% the value of whats on the trailer. So If I have $10,000 worth in the trailer and mowers then its $100 a year in case its damaged in transport.

3. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

im part time bobby ,and probaly have as nice equipment and do as good if not better work than the full timers do.i done 23 this summer and had plenty of time.any more ?i have insurance,probaly covered better than most full timers,probaly pay as much taxes(im sure you report all cash dont you bobby) ,nw i hae to deal with the dodge caravans pulling white 14.5horse lawn tractors tooo,but we aint all like that.i lov doing this,and take much pride in my work and my small business.drink a beer bobby

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i said LEGIT. are you legit? carry the proper insurence, collect/pay sales tax, pay income taxes, carry the proper permits and licensing....etc, etc

5. satch

satch LawnSite Member

i am but just as you said Booby its tough.With only 16 reidential accts,2 buisness accts,and 3 apt complexes the cost of ins and workers comp take a more than a fair share of the bottomline.My goal is to go full time in 2 more years.if not i will stay in the fire service and be a legit parttimer,beside we have great health ins. and retirement with the state of TN. HAPPY TURKEY DAY TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started I was't just like most. Couple of years later got licensed and insurance. Got a accounting firm 6 years ago to handle the number's game for taxes and a financial plan to grow the businesses that I have now.
    twwlawn

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I was legit from day 1. There is no law on insurance here, i didnt get that for a couple years, once I went full time.

8. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I started off as a freshman in highschool. Now I am a senior and 17 years of age. I am not legit but I am putting everything down next summer when college times comes. If I do decide to start it back up after college or during college I will definetly go legit with the taxes, licenses, and other stuff. Right now it just wouldn't be worth it in my case because I am almost done before I head off to college.

9. clemsonfan69

clemsonfan69 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Im just starting and will be 90% legit. I have license, insurance ($300,000 coverage), insurance on my equipment, proper tags, contracts for customers, etc.

The only thing Im missing is taxes.

Do I have to charge sales tax on mowing a yard?

If all Im doing is performing services, what taxes do I have to have (income tax? How much, b/c it severly knocks off my profit).

-CJ

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I'm a licensed LLC in the State of Ohio, carry general liability ins..., all gear is insured, all customers have written contracts (agreements), I collect sales tax, and pay income tax as needed. I also have an accountant that helps me handle the business side. I had 16 regulars this year. Plus many maintenance/one time type jobs......also plow snow for residential driveways. I am solo......

Derek