1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many people actually do irrigation solely.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by GreenHor7, Oct 18, 2006.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Is the irrigation business proitable enough to make a living off of it solely or do many of you guys actually offer other services. I am sure different areas of the country offer a better success rate for the irrigation business then others
  2. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

You are correct. Different areas and markets. But business is business too. Some people float and some sink! Just need to know what you need to survive and to sell your service not price. There are many, many in MN that only do irrigation and thats it. From mid April to mid Nov. and that's it. No snowplowing or anything in the winter. Just have to make the money when you can and budget for the winter.
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. That's all we do. Myself and one fulltime technician. Service/repair/winterizing only. No installs. But we live in a semi-arid high elevation climate with 12" of precip for the year.
  4. We(two guys) have been doing irrigation full time for over 15+ years. Most of my work is now service but we still install and repair systems all year long. The only time we take off is from Christmas until New years. I have over 1000+ customers and at last look we have done over 600+ service calls and tested about 200 back flows this year. In my part of the country we do not winterize system so when a customer calls they need service. It has taken hard work and fair pricing to be in the position we are at now.
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Man that is awesome. When you first started did you advertise heavily? It seems like once you really get established your name spreads like wildfire and there is little need for advertising.
  6. I have always had a small ad in the yellow pages and that is about it. Word of mouth is my main way of getting new customers. My local supply houses hand out my name and also a few landscapers. About 8 years ago I decided that I wanted to do more service and less installs so that is the direction we have been going.
  7. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I have strictly done irrigation for that last 26 years. I've worked for 3 different company's and the last I worked for tried to get too big too fast.
    I ended up with about 250 of their service accounts and now have over 550.
    I have never advertised and all new business is from referalls. I also have a very good rating on Angie's List.
    I think it's simple, Return phone calls, be there when you say, do a good job and they will pay you top dollar.
    I enjoy the winter off!! :)
  8. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

The Co. I work for is Irrigation only, over 35 year old. We have 4 service guy, 3 lawn crews and 2 crew that do ball fields , schools or other larger jobs. This time of year just about eveyone is on Golf Course work. Every Fall we do a full install on a Golf Course, anywere in New England , NY , Long Island or NJ. I hate stay away jobs. We also do all the work out on Fishers Island , NY - over 65 house and a Golf Course

I've work on Michael J Fox , Daniel Steel , Elizabeth Johnson "Johnson & Johnson" house's , and a few other popular people. Michael J Fox was the best job I've done. After all the work was done he had a big party for all the contractors, very nice guy. Last spring we did a system for the heir of Land of Lakes Butter , over 1200 sprinklers there.