how many people just do lawn mowing and edging without gardening and other services

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bulls_mowing, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Bulls_mowing

Bulls_mowing LawnSite Member

how many people just do lawn mowing and edging without gardening and other services
  2. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

That is all I do, but I plan to get the new Plugr Hydro Pro model in a couple of weeks, however, I consider this just to be another "lawn" service anyhow.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

When you say edging do you me edging the sidewalks and along drives, or do you mean bed edging.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I mostly do mowing but I do provide full landscape services for one customer. I was doing it for two customers but I gave the second one to the guy who will be taking over my high end customers in 2008. I do provide fall services (leaf cleanup, aerating, over seeding, slit seeding) for about 8 or 9 customers.
  5. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I would have a difficult time being profitable if I just mowed and edged. For me the real money is in installations, fert., aerification, hydro-seeding and bush hog work. Mowing is important to get your foot in the door but the real profit center is in the above mentioned services. Too many people in my area mow, so, I had to diversify my company.
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

while mowing can make money, its the upselling of services to people who are already my customers that really help me out..... find things they need done in there yard and sell them on the ideas....your foot is already in the door....
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

You have to sell. Your already there mowing there lawn, now maybe you should be fertilzing that lawn, doing snow removal if needed, trim/prune bushes, maybe replace a few bushes and or landscpae, list goes on. 80% of your income should come from your top 10% of clients. At least ours pretty much does.
  8. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

THe old retail adage of ACCESSORIZE, ACCESSORIZE, ACCESSORIZE its the same thing only your selling more services to complement the service you are already providing.
  9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

mowing, trimming, edging and occasional spraying of weeds along fencelines in rural areas and weed spraying in overgrown ferral gardens.

no gardening etc. works fine for me.
  10. Bulls_mowing

Bulls_mowing LawnSite Member

I was thinking about mowing lawns,edging and car detailing that way i can keep the business going all year round so in the winter if theres no lawns to mow theres cars to detail theres like 7 business through out australia that do this whats everyone elses opinion on that is it a good idea or a bad idea