How many people run there business without insurance?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FOX8701, Feb 8, 2010.

1. FOX8701

FOX8701 LawnSite Member

How many people who have full time jobs actually cut lawns on the side? Just as a part time gig? Do you run your "business" without insurance? I know its risky, but just looking to see how many actually do it. Cause really if you have 10 or less lawns a week, its almost not worth filing it for taxes, etc

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

Baah who needs to have insurance or pay taxes. Your right.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Funny you should ask as I am sitting here looking at the insurance bill and can't pay it yet, then I think back to that wonderful morning I cut a gas line trimming shubbery and hear that wonder hissing sound on a quarter mil house with no insurance.... yeah, I will find a way to pay it!!

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Way to many, some will learn the hard way.

5. climber338

climber338 LawnSite Member

insurance is cheap compared to a mess up. Get it because its worth the monthly payment rather than going bankrupt. Dont think for one minute that you will not mess up because everybody messes up every once and a while and insurance keeps you safe.

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, it's worth loosing everything you have and going to jail to save a few bucks. That way you can undercut all the legitimate businesses and steal their customers.

7. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

It is not an if you get caught, it is when you get caught.

10 lawns should be around $250-$400 per week, just income tax alone should be $40-$60 on that. Now multiply that by a minumum of say 28wks and you are well over a grand in taxes at the end of the year. Do that for a few years and you are going to have a large chunk of change you will owe when you get audited.

Plus you just posted on a public forum that you are interested in breaking the law. :hammerhead:

8. jjarvis4

jjarvis4 Banned

Didn't have insurance when I started at age 16 and had less than ten yards. Now I have insurance because it is relatively inexpensive compared to what I make and also gives me that peace of mind.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Would be best to have GL - not safe to do biz without it.
    Most commercial bids aren't even possible without presenting an Insurance Cert with the bid.

10. creativedan

creativedan LawnSite Member
    from IL

GL million $ policy $350-$450 a yr and you can write it off on your taxes