1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how many people .....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 30, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how many people here, rely only on thier lawn business to support thier family. i mean, you know,kids, mortgage payment, health insurence, etc. and, wife stays home with the kids. tell me, i'm curious
  2. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I am, we are not getting rich we are just making a living
  3. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Im married with 2 girls... one handicapped with Angelmans symdrone and the other healthy(thank God). Currently my wife stays at home, and raises both children along with the countless visits from theropist and visits to Childrens Hospital in Boston. Basically im the only source of income for my family, and i'd consider my situation pretty extreme.....so im sure anyone with a good plan, and whos motivated could make a living at this! BTW im 37 if thats of interest
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you have a home? health benefits that you pay for? dental, optical? wear brand name clothing (not trying to be a wise ass). trying to figure out if one can truly have a quality life in this business. the last guy (from lawnsite) who claimed to be "doing great", i found out at 35, him and his wife, lived with her mother, and didn't have health coverage. when they got sick, they got charity care at the local hospitol
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

at a few hundred $$$ an hour (gross that is) i would have to say everyone is doing ok at it.
  6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I live in a mobile home. I wear the cheapest clothes that I can find, new that is. My truck is 10 years old. But, my equipment is in top notch order. My truck runs like a dream. I buy only the best of the "things" that I want. And I have more than enough money invested and in the bank. To all outward appearances, I look like minimum wage construction worker when I'm out and about. Actually, I look better when I'm at work than anyother time. I get a laugh at all those guys out there maxed out on their credit limits and paying intrest out the wazoo to look the part of richy rich. I'd much rather play the unasuming yet well off role.
  7. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Id start by saying that each person has their own definition of success and quality of life. I consider mine comfortable, I have most of the things in life that I want, of course theres a few im still working for but in general im very happy :) To answer some of your questions yes I have a home, but what does this really mean?! Houses in this area (Boston suburbs)average 350k+ homes in mid west may be 125k all depends on each individuals situation. I was lucky enough to get into my house 10 yrs ago when the values were 1/3 what they are now. Another situation for me anyways was that I didnt get married until early thirties...I was able to stash $$ away before I got married and had kids(Again...Thank God I did with this handicapp situation)I'll be honest since I got married with this unique situation im in now, it's tough to save alot of $$ but I hold my own and know things will get better. I run my families health care through my business($960 per month...no dental) In a way I really cant complain because healthcare is a writeoff. Im not driving around in a BMW but have a new Honda minivan. My work trucks age from 95 to 02 basically what it all boils down too is that im a jeans sweatshirt type of guy that runs a business that supports his kids, pays the bills, puts $$ into IRA's and goes out to eat once in awhile. I think thats sucessfull for me....and im hungry for more! Again what I think works for me, maynot work for you. If your hungry enough to make this thing work for you and your family, whats stopping you?
  8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Not me. Too much of a risk for that. I have several other sources of income. As with stocks you need to diversify in business.
  9. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

My wife stays home the kids are married my home is paid for. I guess you can make a good living cutting grass.
  10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto........ :drinkup: :drinkup: for the most part!!

I pay all the bills.... :) ;)