How many phone calls???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Loosestrife, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Loosestrife

Loosestrife LawnSite Member
    from PA

Just a quickie. We got a call from a potential customer, a referral. We were not in at the time, and the woman had left a message. I personally retuened the call a few hours later, but did not hear back from her. I called daily, leaving my clear message for three days. Just wondering when it is time to stop calling, I don't want to be harrassing.

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I've not had that problem, but 3 days is enough. Especially if you leave a message each time. Let her have some time to think, or get back from her vacation!

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Respond once....After that you sound desperate.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The ball is in her court. When the time is right for her she will call back.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If we miss a call, we call back one time.

If we have to leave a message, we tell them that if they are still interested in having the work done, that they should give us a call back in the evening anytime after 7:00pm.

It's just too hard trying to play phone tag with people.
    One call and that's it.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I think one or two calls back is it. Any more and I think you do seem desperate and they may get a little afraid of you. Answering machines or voice mail just don't screw up nowadays. They know you called, now it's up to them. Be patient.

7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Call once and leave a message. After that, if they haven't returned my call by the end of the weekend I would leave one more message on Monday just to follow up and show that I care about their business, just for the slim chance that it slipped their mind or they never made time to call back.

But, after those two calls, I would probobly lay off. Be sure to make your messages count. Clear words quick and to the point with a slowly read phone number.

Good Luck!

8. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with LoneStar- call once or twice. Anything more looks desperate. Sometimes I will use reverse psycology on people and say something like " I'm sorry- been very busy with all my customers. This is the earliest I could return your call." Sometime this works. Many people prefer to work with very busy but organized people.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

9. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

wow, i guess im a stalker or something. i'll call back several times if i think it could be a good lead to new customer. then i would go by if i had the address. would probably continue for a week before giving up.

cheaper than more advertising even though it is annoying. i couldn't care less about looking or being desperate. whatever i gotta do to grow my business.:cool:

10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

A lot depends on how bad you want this particular job.
    Twice I've scheduled estimates, went to the peoples' home or Church in one case, and no one showed up!!

I agree with the majority, once or twice is usually enough.