1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many refuse to work for family or friends?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Apr 14, 2006.

Do you do paid work for friends or family?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2006.
  1. Yes

31 vote(s)
  2. No

19 vote(s)
  1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I refuse to do any paid work for friends or family. When money is involved, it changes things and I don't want to ruin those relationships.

What are your personal policies???

2. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I cut my parents house for nothing.

When and IF I do work for my friends they are charged the same as anyone else.

I dont do it often but sometimes they are in a jam with a broken mower or busted trimmer and I swing by and help them out.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I don't like to work for my family or close friends but if i do, i charge the usual rate. And if they are out of the way, it gives me an excuse to try to find more work in that area.
  4. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Against better judgement I do but on a case by case basis and I always tell people it's the friendship first, business second. If any problems start to arise, I'd rather dissolve the business relationship as quickly as possible rather than let it drag on only to watch both the business relationship and friendship dissolve.
  5. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Yes I do work for family and friends. I like to think that all of my customers are my good friends. HOWEVER.............letting friends work for me is another thing. Last year we did a rather large landscaping job and the freind that helped us found out what we made for a profit and it realy bugged him. After that I will rethink who I get to hire from here on out. I thought that we paid him accordingly...($15.00) per hour. But I think that he just got jealous and wanted a little bigger piece of the pie. I explained all the things that I have at stake, as well as invested. Ol-well:hammerhead:
  6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Many of my customers are friends from church or whatever. I prefer it that way. I know them and they know me and I've yet to have one problem with working for friends.
  7. Greenatthis

Greenatthis LawnSite Member
    from Texas

isn't that how most of us got started, mowing for friends and family. My friends and family's recommendations are how I got 90% of my business.
  8. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

yup same here i always charge the normal rate like my uncle bought a new house and he needed to sell his other house. so he called us and said i need 2 fall cleanups so we did 4 big yards that day and we had our cuzin work for us. so he said how much we said 20 an hour per peerson he said ok and we had a few extras and we got 500 for it. and our cuzin got paid 60 so 440. just for my uncle.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't had any problems...I cut my parents, a good friend, my wife's ex-boss, and between the swim team and PTA I've become "friends" with the majority of the customers in my 'hood...
  10. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

One would think that if a friend or family member was going to HIRE someone to do the yard work they would want someone they know and trust, and if that hired hand was a family or friend,:waving: would't you want the money to go to someone you know instead of someone you don't.