1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many residentials ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by birddog, Feb 9, 2001.

1. birddog

birddog LawnSite Member

Started in the bus last year and had only twelve accounts, because I was first year and didn't want to over step my bounds, but it seemed I had way to much free time on my hands. It is just me with a Scag 48', how many residentials based on .25-.50 acres is enough if you only had 3-4 days to work with.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

Do what you are able to you can always trade out some low paying jobs for higher later on more money..less work..
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would say that you should be able to handle about 15+ lawns with 8m/sf of turf daily. this should keep you busy, give you 30 mins for lunch, and not kill you to get them done.

Just my .02
  4. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I would say about 20....I was doing 45 by myself until I finally hired my first employee...That was 4 yrs. ago..Derrick
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

20-25 min each ... then depending on shield time about 3 an hour would rock ...thats mow n go ... but if you mow the street then your lovin life ..;-)
  6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I only do a handful of residential accounts because my 6 commerical accounts keep me busy enough. I still, always go look at a new yard if someone asks me to. Most of my residentials are friends and neighbors. The commericals keep me fed during the slow months,so they get most of my attention.
  7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Wow clean-cut you were solo and cutting 45yds a day, now thats what i call flying. less than 13min a yd that includes unloading reloading and travel time. Im solo have been cutting around 9 to 11 yds a day. 10hrs My yds are large but you must be cutting 2k yds at that rate.
  8. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he was taking about 45 total for the entire 3-4 days of work that was in the original question.

[Edited by LoneStarLawn on 02-12-2001 at 08:59 PM]
  9. sodbuster

sodbuster LawnSite Member

what is the best way to get business' what type of advertising do you do
  10. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

Mark, you misunderstood..The last year that I was solo, I was cutting about 45 yards a week not a day...That was working 6 day weeks...Now, we cut 18-20 a day but I have help...Derrick