How many rounds do you do?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by villagegreenlandscape, Aug 19, 2007.

1. villagegreenlandscape

villagegreenlandscape LawnSite Member

I've been doing 6 rounds per year for probably years and it seems to have worked fine. I've noticed a lot of companies lately have bumped up to 8 or sometimes more which in the past I considered more marketing than good for the customer. This year in Dallas we had HUGE amounts of rain which made everything grow great - lawns, broadleaf weeds and especially grassy weeds. I've had to make 4 or 5 free re-treat trips to a lot of houses which makes me think maybe I should stick in an extra round in early summer. Any thoughts?

2. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the people and the time do it.

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i have a friend who use to do 6 rounds a yr and now does 12
    he still applies the same ammount of N per yr just does smaller maint. each app mainly to help w/ weeds and chinch bugs. he thought it would be a hard sell but has actually taken off quite well. lawns look good also. doing more I.P.M.
    apps probably would differ in other regions
    i read alot of posts and am amazed on the regional aspects

4. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

We do 7 on residential & 5 on commercial accounts in the same area, extra round of fert for res. lawns = more monet and greener. Thanks, Chris candbcustomlawns.com

5. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Although with grub prevention, nutsedge control, aeration and/or seeding, we average at or above 7.....

6. scweedman

Turfpro do you charge extra for nutsedge? Some companies do.

7. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

typing some nonsense here so the post will submit

8. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Good question for us here in TX. This has been an unusual year for rainfall; especially compared to the last couple of years where we were blazing hot, bone dry, and just struggling to keep the lawns alive.

I've stayed w/5 apps (+ 2 pre-m's with low or no fert carrier), but I'm gonna try to sell an additional fert app to some of my nicer - or needier - lawns. With all the rain, I used 21-0-0 often. Saved a lot of money over my usual slow release blends. But I don't have the "build-up" of stored N from slow release sources. Next (last) round is scheduled in mid to late Sept.

I'm gonna try to get an app of 19-0-19 w/MESA (63% SRN) in for some customers now, and hit them with 21-0-0 again in early Oct. Meanwhile, Round 1 of pre-m starts just after Labor Day.

Lawns don't go dormant here in Austin until just after Thanksgiving.

9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely.....

10. scweedman

Can u get into the details on that, do you see the weed at the time of year
    and tell the customer i will have to charge you extra. Are do you charge up
    front fee? I always hate to get a customer in the winter or early spring
    because you don't know what nut grass will be like.It just seems like all
    weeds should be included not like fungus where i charge extra. Don't
    get me wrong i would like to charge extra!payup