How many services do you offer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Apr 29, 2007.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

By next year I'm shooting for powerraking, mulching, edging, aerating, tilling(Mantis & Barreto Hydro rear tine), overseeding, mowing, weed control, gutter cleaning, fall cleanup, Large variety of hardscaping jobs, blade sharpening, tree and hedge trimming or complete removel, and the list goes on. I currently do mowing, powerraking, edging, and thats about it for this year. With so much more equipment next including bigger and better mowers I should be able to really increase my gross income alot.

2. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

I offer anything they want done if they are willing to pay for it, I have even made trips to the dump for people but I always charge the dump fee plus what I could make mowing in the amount of time it takes me to load and go and unload. A lot of jobs I do in the winter months are jobs that I am to busy for in the summer, but my customers know I will do a good job so they wait on me. I have installed green houses, replaced facia boards on houses, insulated piping for people, hung Christmas lights you name it and I have done it at some time. Be versatile and you will make more money in the long run. I stay as busy in the winter months as I do the summer months.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well, my ad reads like this: Grass cutting, mulch, core aeration, hedge trimming.

But yes, I do offer most aspects of lawn care, concerning turf control, such as overseeding / weed control / etc, for those who want that (others hire someone else to do it, fine by me).

I do leaves, too, but only for grass customers who have been with me all year, and I actually have 2-3 regulars for whom I do only leaves but they're overall pretty sweet jobs left over from early years. Then I have a tiller (big one, rear tine troybilt), a chainsaw, and a few other odd tools (pole pruner, loppers, shovel, etc) for the odd request, I can and will do it if the price and work involved is up my alley :)

Still, I specialize in what I advertise, and get leery when someone starts asking for 'one of those guys who can do everything.'

4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

"It it happens outside we do it!" thats my slogan.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Currently I offer:

Weekly lawn manitenance
    Mulch installation
    Spring/Fall/Storm cleanups
    Aeration
    Small or downed tree removal

Next season I would like to add dethatching, overseeding and bed renovation(IE removing old and installing new plants or flowers into existing beds, repairing/replacing broken plastic edging, etc). We're also buying a bobcat for snow so I will likely throw in post hole digging and light bobcat work as well.

6. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

offer what you know how to do and what you can do. Tree trimming should be left to your local tree pros unless its small pruning. Thats a different and more expensive insurance and unless you are doing alot of trees you wont justify that price. Another thing is your a lawn company and dont want to turn into a tree company. focus on turn key lawns. weed control is great. Way higher profit margins than mowing. Nathan

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I never said anything about tree trimming; merely removal. I don't know enough to trim a tree properly without hurting it so I won't do that.

I won't touch any tree taller than 25' tall, if it is I know an arborist with a tree service and I'll refer the customer to him.

Really doesn't matter to me what the size of the tree is if it's fallen down, unless it's some HUGE mofo that I can't haul after it's cut up.

There's good money in it, and I see no reason not to offer it as a service.

8. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Around here the powerraking/dethatching is huge. $15,000 can be made by one guy in just 6-8 weeks if his equipment is up to par and can handle continous use.

9. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Weekly Mowing, Trimming, Edging, Blowing.
    Lawn Fertilization
    Weed Control (spraying only, no hand pulling)
    Shrub & Tree Pruning
    Core Aerating
    Garden & Flower Bed Tilling
    Spring/Fall Cleanups
    Overseeding & Top Dressings
    Flower/Tree Plantings & Mulch Replenishing
    Sprinkler System Blow Downs, Startups & Repairs
    Christmas Lighting Installs & Removals
    Residential Snow Removal

Looking to get into Landscape Lighting next.

10. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

mowing
    trimming
    power broom de-thatching
    bagging
    core aeration
    storm cleanup
    pet waste removal
    residential snow removal
    tree/shrub pruning
    tree/shrub removal