1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Many Soak Trimmer Line In Water

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Mar 3, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

How many of you soak new trimmer line in water before use and do you think it makes it work better or last longer? If you do soak it do you only do it for a couple day after you but it or do you also keep it in water all the time?
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never heard of this. What are the advantages?
  3. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

I store mine in water and take some line out as needed. I can't tell you for sure if it works but to me it appears to make the line last longer.
  4. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

We do this in the summer to keep the line from drying out. It works.
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

O.K......I see.
  6. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

I've heard of doing that to rejuvenate old line. Never tried it.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've tried it and never really saw a difference but then I don't buy cheap trimmer line. I'm not saying that good is better than cheap but it doesn't seem to make any difference on good line.
  8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Used to store mine in a box in the back of truck. After a while noticed that it became dry and tended to weld together. Leave it out in the rain now and have not had near the problems.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I tried the water trick last year. bought a rubbermaid tub to keep the spool in and added a couple inches of water. Well I thought rubbermaid containers and tupperware was supposed to be air and water tight???? not at all... every time the dang thing tipped over in my tool box the water poured out... But that's not the point... The moist line was a lot more plyable than dry, Kinda like half cooked spaghetti. I use pretty expensive line and have tried many brands until I found what I like (can't remember the brand right now). Hummm, If the water really does help it's only a little. Right at first it does seem to be hard to break the line or wear it off but as it sits in the trimmer head for a few days on the trailer in the heat I think it just goes back to it's original state of dryness and performs the same as always.

I have to say that I very rarely have any problems with my trimmer line, maybe the water is the trick to making it last longer.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea the line does soak up the water and make it last longer and even be heavier. I found that it was hard on the line cut off .