how many sq ft does a bale of straw cover?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by marionlandscape, Oct 12, 2005.

1. marionlandscape

marionlandscape LawnSite Member

when I am seeding lawns I never know how much straw to buy. Has anyone come up with a figure on this?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

depends on the size and weight of the bales. I've used from 50 to 110 per acre. Will it be blown on or spread by hand ?

3. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

Are you using straw or salt hay( I think that is how you spell it)?

4. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Approx 900sq for a 40lb square bale of seed free, combined wheat straw.:waving:

5. marionlandscape

marionlandscape LawnSite Member

it is regular straw and I spread it by hand. thanks for the info

6. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

I was going to ask the same question today. Looking at renting a blower but wondered what kind of yield for a blower. I have a 34000 sq ft new yard to install and I'm thinking it would suck to do the straw by hand!

7. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

Just make sure your coverage is light enough to have some soil show through the straw. Did you ever consider penn mulch or no mulch?? I'm not a big fan of straw for residential applications. I just did my lawn with no mulch and my grass is coming in fuller, not near as spotty and much better than my neighbor that used straw. Also, I won't have to rake it off and damage the grass.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

50 # bales of clean wheat straw you should get by with 35-40 blown on. double it if you hand shake it on.
    BTW-- 1 hr at the most with 2 people blowing it on.

You never rake it off, it decomposes and adds nutrients. If they raked it off they tore out 1/2 the new seedling that you can not see through the straw and if the grass was already up then they just tore out the shoots.

9. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

That is exactly what i had figured in my cost. Thanks for the help!

10. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

Marionl/s , Not to throw a wrench into your operation, but if you are seeding a lawn and use straw to cover it, in a couple of months you will get tall, clumpy wheat-grass growing up in the lawn you are trying to establish with good seed. (There is a lot of wheat seed in every bale). Can you use some other type of cover? Good luck.