how many still cutting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qualitylandscaping, Oct 14, 2004.

1. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi guys,

Just wondering how many more weeks you northern guys plan to keep mowing? Turf growth around here is really starting to slow down and contracted visits are running out at the end of next week ( My contracts are for 28 visits, and next week will be the last route run).

Some local guys have already called it quits for the year, while others are planning to run until early-mid november..

I'm thinking next week may be my last, but I guess it always depends on the weather.

Liberty Lawncare likes this.
  2. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

This week will be my last weekly cuts for some. I will continue to mow until at least the end of October. Some are still growing like crazy because they fertilize and will remain at once a week, others will be pushed back to bi-weekly.

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Grass is still growing here, it has slowed down a bit but keeps coming up. I'll take it, the leaves have a way to go before they fall.

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Still going here, but its hit & miss

5. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

if they have irrigation they are still growing strong!! if not it leaf time!!!

MIke

6. qualitylandscaping

The big problem I'm having is leaves are about 75% down. Only a few maples, and all of the oaks still have their leaves. The grass still needs to be cut, but I'm basically giving away my expensive cleanup for free when I mow :dizzy: and now no one wants to sign up for a cleanup since I'm already doing it (even though I'm not)..

7. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

do you normally bag? or just discharge? If you discharge there should still be leaves left. If you bag you might want tell you customers you are done mowing and will start cleanups maybe 2 or 3 times and tell them part of the cleanup is a mowing and charge for a cleanup rate.

Liberty Lawncare likes this.
  8. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Mowed a little today 1more week and that's it.

9. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Took this week off. Has been dry here for three weeks. Got a little rain on last night. Calling for more rain on Friday. Leaves are starting to come pretty quick now. Will go to the end of November to get final cleanups done.

10. qualitylandscaping

I normally discharge but I'm running Gators and they pretty much chew up all of the leaves to nothing, so there isn't much left to "cleanup"..