How many still run a tractor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 14, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I know that there are some that can't afford a ZTR and run tractor type mowers. But there are a few of you that just like a tractor for certain reasons. I have found times when I need some extra help I could use a tractor and put someone to use with very little training especially in open area's but I can't see it paying for it's self. I bet the larger JD tractors with a 7 Iron deck do a good job. So who still uses tractors, I've asked this question before and there are some well established LCO's that still have one or prefer one in certain circumstances.
  2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot of guys here still use them, everything from John Deere, to Murrays and Craftsmans (moslty the last 2). For me I can't really see the point since a ZTR is soo much faster. However we do have a JD 425 AWS that is pretty bad a$$. I figure if I ever need a pop to go with me I'll have him use it as he can't turn the Z without ripping the turf.
  3. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I can't imagine the amount of time you would waste using a tractor, not to mention the other LCO's laughing their butts off when they would see you on one. There is a time and a place for those, and they are at grandpa's house so he can take all day mowing an acre.
  4. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very un-true. I have a 2007 Deere X720 with a 60" 7 IRON deck. It can hold it's own against a zero turn. And I also have the versatility of a piece of equipment with multiple attachments. I have a 3 point on mine along with a 51" Front Broom. This next winter it will be equipped with a cab and snowblower. In this area, I need a tractor for cutting because of hills and inclines. It's not as quick around turns and tight areas as a Z but definetaly has it's place in the industry.
  5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

What did your X720 cost?
  6. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

X2 on the hills and inclines.. ztr's are not for steep hills unless you have level lawn at the bottem of the hill to stop. I droped 2 lawns because of hills. couldnt see spending extra $$ on another machine. Would also need a larger trailer because I would still need both my ztr's for the rest of the day. Couldnt fit all 3 on my 16' trailer.
  7. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

where I am at it is more like who uses a ztr. their are only two of us that use ztr's right now my competition uses the walkers and I use a husqavarna z every one else uses john deere lawn tractors. Of course the two of us who use ztr's are also doing the majority of the commerial and the better resisdential accounts.
  8. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Inherited an old Murray when I bought my house. Used it for 3 years to cut overgrown properties for the city. Worked great. Sold it for $150 when it broke down.
  9. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

i actually just bought a husqvarna tractor im kinda tight on money so im waiting til about mid year to buy a ztr but having a hydrostatic drive on that husqvarna tractor does make things go much faster instead of stopping and shifting gears like on my old mtd rider so ill say its not very economical to run and i might get laughed at but im not in debt and it still gets the yards done :cool2:
  10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, if you and your customers are happy with it, that's all that really counts !!