1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

how many straw bails in 6x12 trailer?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by AuburnGuy, Mar 17, 2004.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 6x12 trailer with two foot sides. Do you guys know how many bails i can get on each layer, or do you know how big an average bail is? I have to do about 120 bails this weekend. Trying to see how many trips it will take.

Also have you guys ever compared size of the bails at Lowes and Home Depot compared to Landscape supply places. My local supplier says theirs is bigger and more clean, and they are $.50 higher than lowes and HD. I figure they all probably get their straw from the same companies. If any of you guys know, let me know.
    thanks

2. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

moderator - This may should have been in the landscaping forum. You can re-locate if you need to. Not that you need my permission any way.

3. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

If you have tie-downs you should be able to fit at least 12-14 bales on your trailer w/o tie-downs, with tie-downs, (if you're ballsy enough, I'm not) you could fit 24 on.

As far as bale size goes, talk to a local farmer who does it for a living, you'll get the best price from them. I bought all I needed from a farmer and my bales were twice the size of the ones in stores, and half as much.....

My bales were (off the top of my head) 2' X 2 1/2' X 3 1/2'

Chris

4. you should get at least 50 to 60 no problem,maybe more .

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im thinking 12 per layer and 4 layers should be easy so about 50 or so

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think it is the amount of bales but the weight of all combined that would hinder the amount you can fit on a trailer. If I remember correctly there are 20 bales to a ton. Figure out what your trailer can hold that will be how much you can haul at a time.

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

is a bail really 100Lbs each?

8. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

I was only thinking of having the lil' 2' sides. Stand the first layer on end & lay the next layer(s) flat

Chris

9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

No. Closer to 40.

Two trips shoud do it, with three ratchet straps from side to side.

10. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds right to me unless they are soaking wet.

We stack hay 5 runs high on the back of a 1 ton truck 15 bails per run 5x15=75. Bed was almost the same size as a 6x12 trailer. They should go in 2 loads. Be sure to tie down good and stack the bails so they interlock.