How many think you could mow.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr.Mow-It-All, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

How many homes could you mow by yourself with the following details:

1. 60 homes in HOA
    2. side by side
    3. average mowing surfice is 6-8K sq feet per home.
    4. could do all the fronts with a 48" walk behind (or walker)
    5. half the back yards would have to be mowed with a 21" (very small)
    6. all homes have driveways and side walks that have to be edged (stick edger)
    7. no travel time other than getting there in the morning and leaving when done.
    8. normal trimming around houses and trees etc. (1 tree everyother home)

What do you guys thinks?:blob3:

2. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

20-25 per day. 2 1/2 to 3 days work. Solo. Use the string trimmer to maintain edges after stick edging.

3. Mr.Mow-It-All

Actually the sq foot is closer 5k.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

lose the 21", replace with a 32". bagging grass? or discharging? sounds like less than 2 full days to me. schedule it by doing house numbers 1-60 (even) one day, and 1-60(odd) the next. this should keep you on the same side of the street.

5. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

three days ,i do 70 lawns a week solo ,from 5000sq ft to 30000sq ft in a 15 mile radius with no problem and am twice your age. so with no drive time ,20 a day should be no problem. good luck if you can get it .

6. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

2 days i agree get rid of the 21" get something more productive. maybe even a day and a half if your moving, or get someone to help you and get everything done in one day.payup

7. Mr.Mow-It-All

Yeh will probably lose the 21", just thinking what it would be with the equp already have. They want it bagged, but I think I can get away with mulching, by mowing every week, it should never be out of hand. this is a neighbor hood so there is like 4 different streets inside the addition. I will have to move the truck probably 2-3 times a day. I think I can do these with an average of 12 min per home. I am used to doing much much larger properties, so I may be a little off. But I figure I can mow all the fronts togother(just keep on going) on one side of a street, then do all the backs I can with the bigger mower, then go back and get the smaller mower for the gated back yards. Do all the edging and trimming together. I tried to think about If I was just pulling up to do one yard, how long it would take, and I figured 12 -15 min, if you elimanate the time of walking back to get the edger, small mower, trimmer, blower 60 times that you would do if you did each on as an individual, than I think it could easily be an average of 12 min per home. Whatchya think.

I am thinking 13 hours total time. So If I pick up a helper on this one, I think I could easily get in one day, 1.5 days by myself. But would still love to hear what others have to say, I am sure there is something I am not thinking of. Also bobbygedd mentioned a 32" mower. Is there a commerical 32", I know of the brushcutters or the funky looking thing that snapper sells (doesn't look commercial to me)but is there an acutal 32" commercial mower I could buy, thought about the metro 26, but seems there have been a lot of problems.

Thank you!!

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you'd be shocked at how little time additional lawns take, once u r stopped already. judging by what u said, i bet u could average 8-9 minutes per lawn. less with one helper. sounds like a goldmine....if handled properly

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

2 days max

10. Mr.Mow-It-All

Well that is what I am banking on!!!!!payup payup :D